Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Fries To America

  • Dotty Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2004
      Thanks! This will be a big help. Our "breadbasket" in the U. S. certainly is productive. My relatives from Zeeland Province said they had a good life in the Netherlands, but they were always hungry. This explains it.

      Dotty Smith

      Albert Balt <bbalt14622@...> wrote:

      Hi Dotty,
      The wheat and grain fields in America were so productive that it resulted in unemployment in the northern counties of Frysl�n. Also there was a population explosion in most of Europe at that time. My ancestor was the youngest son by the second wife in a family of nine in Het Bildt. Prospects weren't so good and getting worse all the time. The northern "clay" counties suffered the greatest losses to emigration. I would recommend the book by Annemieke Galema, Frisians to America 1880-1914 as a good place to start. You can get it through inter-library loan. Some of us on this list also belong to www.i-friesland.com. History, culture, and genealogy are discussed and it is in English for those of us just learning our Dutch and Frysk.

      Bert Balt
      Rochester, NY

      Genealogy yn Frysl�n: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.

      Om uw abonnement te be�indigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar: