Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Pot. Koolhaas. Kornelis. Smit. Smint.

  • Marianne van Huissteden
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      It annoyed me a bit that I couldn't find any more info of Jan Frederik Sment and the two children of his first marriage to Harmke Kornelis Zagema, Frederik and Harmke. So I searched a bit more, and on the site of Tresoar I found registration info that they left for the USA on july 1, 1882. What puzzles me, is that the name of the daughter is not Harmke, but Janke. Harmke was registered at birth as born march 24, 1872 and Janke in the registration below march 28, 1872. But then again, the d.o.b. mentioned below of Jan en his son Frederik differ slightly from the ones mentioned in their birth registrations. (Jan january 27, 1836 and Frederik december 23, 1869, all info obtained from Tresoar). So I think it is safe to assume that they are the same persons. The only thing I can't explain is the name change of the daughter.

      Bevolking FERWERDERADEEL
      JAN FREDERIKS SMENT, WERKMAN-WORKMAN
      SINGLE MALE INDIVIDUAL OR SINGLE MALE PARENT, WIDOW(ER)
      Geb: 24-1-1836
      Laatste woonplaats: HALLUM
      FREDERIK JANS SMENT
      SON, UNMARRIED/SINGLE
      Geb: 22-12-1869
      Laatste woonplaats: HALLUM
      JANKE JANS SMENT
      DAUGHTER, UNMARRIED/SINGLE
      Geb: 28-3-1872
      Laatste woonplaats: HALLUM
      Vertrokken naar: USA-UNIDENTIFIED REGION, 1-7-1882

      Kind regards,
      Marianne

      Ed Morgan <edwinmorgan1950@...> wrote:
      I am searching for information on ancestors that came from Friesland.
      Some are from Ferwerd. Here is information from one of the family
      bibles.

      Fettje Kornelis Pot is geboren den 17 Februari in het jaar 1850. Enis
      overleden den 28 Juli 1879.

      Jakop Koolhaas geboren den 30 August. Overleden den 7 Sept. 1880.

      Oege J. Koolhaas geboren den 13 December en het jaar 1858.

      Dieuwke Kornelis. Pot geboren den 3 Augustus en het jaar 1856.

      Getround den 28 Maart 1881 Oege Jakop Koolhaas en Dieuwke Kornelis
      Pot.

      Jakop Koolhaas gebooren 18 Decber 1883.

      Grietje Koolhaas geboren 19 July 1882.

      Getround den 26 Mei 1876 Jan Frederiks Smit en Fetje Kernelis Pot.

      Jan Smint is geboren den December 1836.

      Fetje Pot is geboren den 17 Februari 1850.

      Grietje Jans Smint is geboren den 5 November 1876 en overleden den 6
      November in het jaar 1877.

      Genealogy yn Frysl�n: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.

      Om uw abonnement te be�indigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar:

    • Edwin Morgan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
        Marianne;
        Thank you so much Marianne. I shall forever be
        indebted to you. This is all very great. I did not
        know that the Sment's came to America at all. This has
        me very intriqued now and I shall have to locate where
        they settled and see if my family kept in touch with
        them at all. Thanks a million. Have a great day. Ed

        --- Marianne van Huissteden <mara020693@...>

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/