Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Pot. Koolhaas. Kornelis. Smit. Smint.

  • Marianne van Huissteden
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hi Ed,
      I think I figured it out.

      It all starts with Thomas Willems Koolhaas (1802 - dec. 22,1858)
      He married Atje Jacobs Roorda (1801 - dec. 21,1868) on febr. 17, 1825.

      They had the following children:
      Grietje jan. 31,1826 - sept.2,1905 female
      Eeke nov. 1,1827 - ? female
      Jakob march 15,1831 - ? male.

      Jakob (Thomas Koolhaas) married Fokje Oeges Winstra (sep.5,1835 - ?)
      on june 19 1858.

      They had the following children:
      Oege dec. 13,1858 - ? male
      Atje jan. 9,1862 - aug.22,1866 female
      Thomas may 21, 1867 - aug. 3,1867 male
      Atje dec. 29,1871 - ? female
      Thomas june 10,1876 - sep. 12,1876 male

      On september 11, 1899 Jakob, Fokje and their daughter Atje leave for the USA-unidentified region.

      Oege (Jacob Thomas Koolhaas) had already left for the USA on july 1, 1881, together with Dieuwke Cornelis Pot.
      They were both listed as unmarried/single.

      Now here comes an interesting detail:
      Dieuwkje Pot gave birth to a son, Jacob, on august 30, 1880. The child was registered as Jacob Wijnstra, son of Fokje Oeges Wijnstra (!!!) and Dieuwke Pot.
      That means that Oeges mother took responsibility for the child.

      The child died september 7, 1880 (nine days old) as Jacob Pot, son of Dieuwke Pot.
      I think that the Jakop Koolhaas that you mentioned deceased on sep. 7, 1880 is the same child.

      It is likely that Oege and Dieuwke got married in the USA, and that they had a number of children there, including the Jakop and Grietje that you mentioned as being born in 1882 and 1883. I found no mention of them here.

      I will get back to you re. Dieuwkes family (Pot). I know that Tetje Kornelis Pot (you already have het details) was her sister, but I wil try to find out more about their parents and possible siblings.
      If you are interested in registration-details of all the persons I mentioned, please let me know. In that case I think it would be wise to exchange private email-adresses, since this info will exceed at least 12 pages. I don't think the Yahoo-site is meant for that big an amount of info.

      Regards,
      Marianne

      Ed Morgan <edwinmorgan1950@...> wrote:
      I am searching for information on ancestors that came from Friesland.
      Some are from Ferwerd. Here is information from one of the family
      bibles.

      Fettje Kornelis Pot is geboren den 17 Februari in het jaar 1850. Enis
      overleden den 28 Juli 1879.

      Jakop Koolhaas geboren den 30 August. Overleden den 7 Sept. 1880.

      Oege J. Koolhaas geboren den 13 December en het jaar 1858.

      Dieuwke Kornelis. Pot geboren den 3 Augustus en het jaar 1856.

      Getround den 28 Maart 1881 Oege Jakop Koolhaas en Dieuwke Kornelis
      Pot.

      Jakop Koolhaas gebooren 18 Decber 1883.

      Grietje Koolhaas geboren 19 July 1882.

      Getround den 26 Mei 1876 Jan Frederiks Smit en Fetje Kernelis Pot.

      Jan Smint is geboren den December 1836.

      Fetje Pot is geboren den 17 Februari 1850.

      Grietje Jans Smint is geboren den 5 November 1876 en overleden den 6
      November in het jaar 1877.

      Genealogy yn Frysl�n: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.

      Om uw abonnement te be�indigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar:

    • Marianne van Huissteden
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        It annoyed me a bit that I couldn't find any more info of Jan Frederik Sment and the two children of his first marriage to Harmke Kornelis Zagema, Frederik and Harmke. So I searched a bit more, and on the site of Tresoar I found registration info that they left for the USA on july 1, 1882. What puzzles me, is that the name of the daughter is not Harmke, but Janke. Harmke was registered at birth as born march 24, 1872 and Janke in the registration below march 28, 1872. But then again, the d.o.b. mentioned below of Jan en his son Frederik differ slightly from the ones mentioned in their birth registrations. (Jan january 27, 1836 and Frederik december 23, 1869, all info obtained from Tresoar). So I think it is safe to assume that they are the same persons. The only thing I can't explain is the name change of the daughter.

        Bevolking FERWERDERADEEL
        JAN FREDERIKS SMENT, WERKMAN-WORKMAN
        SINGLE MALE INDIVIDUAL OR SINGLE MALE PARENT, WIDOW(ER)
        Geb: 24-1-1836
        Laatste woonplaats: HALLUM
        FREDERIK JANS SMENT
        SON, UNMARRIED/SINGLE
        Geb: 22-12-1869
        Laatste woonplaats: HALLUM
        JANKE JANS SMENT
        DAUGHTER, UNMARRIED/SINGLE
        Geb: 28-3-1872
        Laatste woonplaats: HALLUM
        Vertrokken naar: USA-UNIDENTIFIED REGION, 1-7-1882

        Kind regards,
[...]

      • Edwin Morgan
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
          Marianne;
          Thank you so much Marianne. I shall forever be
          indebted to you. This is all very great. I did not
          know that the Sment's came to America at all. This has
          me very intriqued now and I shall have to locate where
          they settled and see if my family kept in touch with
          them at all. Thanks a million. Have a great day. Ed

          --- Marianne van Huissteden <mara020693@...>

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/