Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Mennonites

  • Eunice Hamill
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
      There was a good sized settlement of Dutch Mennonites in the Elkhart, Indiana area. One of the pastors was named Ruurds Smit. After arriving in the United States in the late 1800's he adopted the last name of Smith. My great-uncle John Huitema married Hannah Smith. They talked Dutch in the home.

      Eunice Hamill