  • marievo47
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hello to all interested posters regarding the Benedictus Family:

      My husband's maternal grandmother was Antje Benedictus born in 1871
      in Rottevalle, and she was Christian Reformed, as was her family for
      several generations. However, we recently learned of the family's
      connection to the late author, Professor Lewis Smedes, of
      California, USA. His maternal grandmother was Rinske Benedictus who
      married Melle Smedes in 1911. In one of his books, he recounts that
      some of his Benedictus ancestors were Mennonites who escaped
      persecution in Switzerland in the 1500's.

      Does anyone have any information regarding the Mennonites in the
      Netherlands, or suggestions as to where to find such information??

      Thank you for your help.

      Groeten,

      Marie and Boreas Volbeda
    • Jan PETRUSMA
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
        The Mennonites have a web site and the following is a short statement that I have extracted.

        Mennonite World Conference (MWC) is an international fellowship of Christian churches who trace their beginning to the 16th-century Radical Reformation in Europe, particularly to the Anabaptist movement. Today, more than 1,200,000 believers belong to this faith family; at least 55 percent are African, Asian, or Latin American.

        MWC represents 87 Mennonite and Brethren in Christ national churches from 48 countries on five continents.
        Creating a "space" is a primary ministry of MWC — where member churches experience communion, interdependence, solidarity, and mutual accountability. MWC provides occasions and networks, publications and exchanges where Mennonites and Brethren in Christ (BIC) can experience fellowship and be encouraged to live and act more faithfully.
        MWC intends to serve as a "global congregation." We believe that the Church is a worldwide body where people of different cultures and nations are "no longer strangers ... but members of God's household ...." (Ephesians 2:19)

        The contact in the Netherlands is:-

        THE NETHERLANDS
        Algemene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit
        Piet A. Beun
        G.A. Ineke Reinhold-Scheuermann

        I did some research into this organisation a few years ago in conjunction with the Annabaptist organisation. It is fascinating history.

        Signed Jan PETRUSMA