RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Roelof: Nielsen in Harlingen?

  • andr.mehlsen laustsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2000
      Dear Friends/Liebe Freunde!
      The name Nielsen sounds Danish to me - may be an immigrant from up here.
      Niels is a Danish form of "Nicholaos" (or whatever in any other language
      than Greek).
      Der Name Nielsen deutet an d�nische Herkunft (Niels = Nicholaos).
      Regards / Gr�sse
      aml.

      >From: "Lieko Helmus" <lhelmus@...>
      >To: <Friesland-genealogy@egroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Roelof: Nielsen in Harlingen?
      >Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:32:03 +0200
      >
      >Hallo Roelof,
      >Ik zie een vraag van jouw voorbijkomen mede in verband met
      >Harlingen. Ben jij een Harlingen expert? Ik zoek al heel lang
      >naar verdere gegevens van de Nielsens uit Harlingen. (Is de meisjes-
      >naam van mijn schoonmoeder.) De Nielsens schitterden door afwezigheid
      >bij de naamsaanneming/behoud actie van Napoleon, maar ze waren er
      >wel degelijk. Heb jij gegevens over de Nielsens?
      >Groeten,

      >Liekele (Lieko) Helmus & Rinske Helmus-Deutekom
      >Siriusstraat 52, NL-1223 AP Hilversum, the Netherlands
      >31(0)35 6858 675 (+voicemail) Fax 31(0)20 8848 931(fax2pc)
      >gsm 06 28184122 (+SMS) NetMeeting (+Webcam)
      >lhelmus@...
      >

      >[De niet-tekstgedeelten van dit bericht werden verwijderd]

      >Get great brand name shoes with just the click of a mouse. Check out
      >the huge selection at Zappos.com, the Web's Most Popular Store!
    • Lieko Helmus
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2000
        Hallo Andre(?) Mehlsen,
        Thanks for your reaction to the Nielsens in Harlingen.Yes I think
        it is well known that Nielsen is a Danish name.
        It's a fact when Napoleon in 1811 ordered all Frisians to have their
        familyname registered, or come with a name if they didn't have one
        before, the then living Nielsens in Harlingen refused (?) to do so.
        Stubborn people I know from experience 200 years later!
        I trace Hendrik Johannes Nielsen, probably bapt Harlingen 16 Jan 1742
        in the "Grote Kerk", as son of Johannis Steffens and Wipkjen Hendriks.
        He may have been married first to Pijtie Pijtters on 22 Dec 1765 and then
        24 Aug 1773 to Grietje Pieters. Their son was Johannes Hendriks N.,
        weversknecht, born H. 8 Aug 1773 and married to Johanna Rintjes on
        14 May 1797. Johanna by the way was a daughter of Rintje Jarings and
        Pytje Johannis. Their son (one of their children) was Rintje Johannes N.,
        who was married to Geertje Gerrits Driesen. etc
        Either, maybe by coincidence, nobody ever traced this family, or
        this e-mail/internet group turns out to be too small and one does only
        reach a very small portion of (Frisian) genealogists?
        But I stay hopeful and eventually hope to find time to go the Ryksargyf
        myself and try to trace the Danish (!) roots! And find them!
        Liekele Helmus, Hilversum