napoleonic decree of 1811

  • Dianne.W.Hart@orst.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2000
      Dear Group,

      I understand that in 1811, Frisians were asked to take surnames. Did the
      majority of people not already have last names? Did some have them? What
      distinction was there between those who had them and those who did not? Did some
      members of a family use a surname and others not?

      Could you take any surname you wanted?

      Thank you.

      Dianne Walta Hart
      Corvallis, Oregon, USA

      Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and find your ancestors now.
      Search over 550 million names and trace your family tree today. Click here:
      http://click.egroups.com/1/6254/12/_/567109/_/962916040/

      Genealogy yn Frysl�n: http://members1.chello.nl/~a.stienstra/frgen/