Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Information contained in 1837 marriage banns,license and additions

  • Tjerk Tigchelaar
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 12:16 AM
      Dear Cindy,

      This Thursday I'm in Harlingen in the archives. I'll check the names of the
      witnesses. If there is a relation between the witnesses and bride and/or
      groom in general that is mentioned. In the circles my ancestors lived in
      (they were very poor) it was unusual that the witnesses were familymembers.

      Tjerk Tigchelaar

      Hello,
      I've obtained a copy of my 3rd great grandfather's a grandmother's
      marriage from the LDS center. It's date it Feb. 1837. Lykle DUIKER
      to Elizabeth TIGCHELAAR. Lykle was the son of Olpherts Simons DUIKER
      and Sytske Freerks de BOER. Elizabeth is the daughter of Eeltje
      Cornilis TICHELAAR and Feikjes Tjamkes BLOMBERGEN.
      My question is I can see two names listed and I'm assuming they are
      witnesses, the only name I can make out clearly is Elle Robyns
      BLANKSMA and Cornelis Bo?mans. Could someone tell me was it a Dutch
      tradition in 1837 to choose family as witnesses or could these two
      have been friends or just someone present. Athough I see other names
      on these many pages I see their names mentioned only once and I do
      find their signatures.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thank you,
      Cindy