Friesland

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2000
      This is a repeat of request made June 13.

      If someone is going to the archives, I have a rather long
      list of material I would like looked up. The first four I would like
      all the information possible from the 'trouwbijlagen' if they exist
      (birth/baptism of spouses, place of birth, parents, etc).

      1. Berendje de Vries married Doniawerstal 21-3-1867 with Douwe Cramer
      2. Gelke Douwes de Jager married Wymbritseradeel 23-11-1839 with Mintje
      Entes (Intes) Dijkstra
      3. Douwe Okkes de Jager (possibly father of #2) married Wymbritseradeel
      26-2-1813 Boukje (Baukje) Gelkes Boshakker (Boschhakke, etc)
      4. Symen (Simon) Jans Rienstra married Wymbritseradeel 8-5-1830 with
      Feikje Entes (Intes) Dijkstra

      For the following I just need the information indicated
      5. Hans Hofstee married Wymbritseradeel 17-5-1913 with Berendje
      Rienstra
      Need Berendje's birth date and place
      6. Douwe Okkes de Jager died Wymbritseradeel 25-10-1847
      Need name of spouse, parents, etc.
      7. Minke Leyenaar, died Workum 15-6-1874, age 94
      Need name of spouse, parents?
      8. Jan Jans Leyenaar, died Baarderadeel 12-8-1827, age 87
      Need name of spouse, parents, etc.
      9. Okke Gerkes de Jager, died Workum 4-2-1836
      Need name of spouse, parents, etc.
      10. Jan Jacobus Rienstra, died Wymbritseradeel 10-3-1841
      Need name of spouse, parents, etc
      11. Gelke Foekes Boschhakker, died Wymbritseradeel 1-8-1818
      Need name of spouse, parents, place of death
      12. Pieter Entes Dijkstra, died Rauwerderhem 20-1-1869
      Need name of parents, spouse, place of death
      13. Gelke de Jager, died Wymbritseradeel 2-12-1897
      Need name of spouse, parents, place of death
      14. Douwe Okkes de Jager, died Wymbritseradeel 25-10-1847, age 63
      Need name of spouse, parents, place of birth
      15. Grietje Cramer, died Wymbritseradeel 24-12-1939, age 73
      Need name of spouse, parents, etc
      16. Lucas Jans Cramer, died Gaasterland 17-3-1896, age 77
      Need name of spouse, parents, etc.

      Thanks. Tony
    • Cathie Stevens
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2004
        Hello, I live in Harvard,Illinois, almost by the
        Wisconsin border.My father Garrett Hellenga was born
        in Friesland.I am very interested in learning more
        about the country.My mother's parents were also born
        there.

        Thank you,
        Cathie (Hellinga) Stevens

        I only read and write English

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jouke Dantuma
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 14, 2004
          Hello Cathy,

          I wonde where your parents came from. In my city, Driesum, also lives
          Hellinga's who emigrated to America.

          Jouke Dantuma.
          Hello, I live in Harvard,Illinois, almost by the
          Wisconsin border.My father Garrett Hellenga was born
          in Friesland.I am very interested in learning more
          about the country.My mother's parents were also born
          there.

          Thank you,
          Cathie (Hellinga) Stevens

          I only read and write English

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Genealogy yn Fryslân: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.

        • Cathie Stevens
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2004
            --- Jouke Dantuma <jouked@...> wrote:

            > Hello Cathy,
            >
            > I wonde where your parents came from. In my city,
            > Driesum, also lives
            > Hellinga's who emigrated to America.
            >
            > Jouke Dantuma.

            where my father was born.All the papers I have on him
            just say Holland.My father died in 1958 when I was 12
            years old.I don't know much about his family.I would
            like to find out all I can.I do know that his father
            was also Garret Hellinga.The spelling changed over the
            years to Hellenga.His mother was Minnie Posdma.His
            first wife was Alice Van Prooyen.She died in a car
            accident in 1939.I do know that my father came from a
            large family.He came to the US at a very young age.He
            was born April 26,1892.He was alot older that my
            mother.He never went back to Holland.But I do know we
            have alot of relatives there yet.My mother was a
            Terpstra.She died here at my house in July, 2002.She
            was 86.There are no older family members living
            anymore.No one to ask questions.Anything you can find
            out would be wonderful.__Thank
            you,Cathie_______________________________________________
            > Do You Yahoo!?
            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com
            >

            > Genealogy yn Frysl�n:
            > http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.
            >
            > Het archief van deze lijst voor Friese genealogen
            > met daarin alle sinds 8
            > juli 1999 geposte berichten staat op
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Friesland-genealogy
            >
            > Om uw abonnement te be�indigen stuurt u een (leeg)
            > email-bericht naar:
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Mike Hoekstra
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2004
              Cathy,

              2) Geboorteakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1892

              Aangiftedatum 27 april 1892, akte nr. Geert Hellinga, geboren 26
              april 1892 Zoon van Geert Harkes Hellinga en Minke Geerts Postma

              14) Geboorteakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1860

              Geert Harkes Hellinga, geboren 3 februari 1860 Zoon van Harke Geerts
              Hellinga en Eelkje Lieuwes van der Wal

              1) Geboorteakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1830

              Harke Hellinga, geboren 15 mei 1830 Zoon van Geert Harkes Hellinga en
              Maaike Hendriks de Vries

              2) Overlijdensakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1890

              Geert Harkes Hellinga, overleden 1 januari 1890, oud 85 jaar,

              --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Cathie Stevens

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2004
                --- Mike Hoekstra <carpenoctem1970@...> wrote:

                > Cathy,
                >
                > 2) Geboorteakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1892
                >
                > Aangiftedatum 27 april 1892, akte nr. Geert
                > Hellinga, geboren 26
                > april 1892 Zoon van Geert Harkes Hellinga en Minke
                > Geerts Postma
                >
                > 14) Geboorteakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1860
                >
                > Geert Harkes Hellinga, geboren 3 februari 1860 Zoon
                > van Harke Geerts
                > Hellinga en Eelkje Lieuwes van der Wal
                >
                > 1) Geboorteakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1830
                >
                > Harke Hellinga, geboren 15 mei 1830 Zoon van Geert
                > Harkes Hellinga en
                > Maaike Hendriks de Vries
                >
                > 2) Overlijdensakte Tietjerksteradeel, 1890
                >
                > Geert Harkes Hellinga, overleden 1 januari 1890, oud
                > 85 jaar,
                >
                > Hello, I am sorry but I only read and write
                English.Can you wrote to me in English?
                Thank you,Cathie

                > --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Cathie
                > Stevens
                > <cathie1846@y...> wrote:
                > > --- Jouke Dantuma <jouked@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hello Cathy,
                > > >
                > > > I wonde where your parents came from. In my
                > city,
                > > > Driesum, also lives
                > > > Hellinga's who emigrated to America.
                > > >
                > > > Jouke Dantuma.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • H. van der Zwaag
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 20, 2004
                  Dear Cathie.

                  I think we are relatives far far away.
                  I was just searching for the Hellenga family, because they belong to my
                  family.
                  I'm a little bit late with reacting, because I had my birthday yesterday.
                  In the scheme you can see our relation to each other.
                  I hope to send you more information lateron.
                  I'm too busy to controle all the dates in the archives. I hope to do it
                  later. When there are some faults in it, I'm pleased to hear it from you or
                  anybody else.
                  Greatings, Hemke van der Zwaag, Drachten (Friesland)

                  Consanguinity between Minke Geerts Postma and Hemke van der Zwaag.
                  Geert Douwes Postma (father of Minke Geerts Postma) is the great-uncle of
                  Elisabeth Romkes Postma (grandmother of Hemke van der Zwaag).

                  III-a Minke Geerts Postma, born in Tietjerksteradeel on September 28, 1865,
                  died there on October 18, 1912.
                  She was married in Tietjerksteradeel on May 30, 1885 to Geert Harkes
                  Hellinga.

                  II-a Geert Douwes Postma, born in Veenwouden on April 13, 1824, died in
                  Tietjerksteradeel on January 4, 1892.
                  He was married in Tietjerksteradeel on December 7, 1850 to Wytske Oedzes van
                  der Meer, born in Dantumadeel on August 11, 1822, died in Tietjerksteradeel
                  on December 25, 1910, daughter of Oeds Sjoerds van der Meer and Trijntje
                  Jans Albertema.

                  I Douwe Andries Postma, born in Akkerwoude on December 24, 1783, christened
                  there on February 1, 1784, died in Wouterswoude on May 29, 1852.
                  He was married in Driesum on May 14, 1809 (1) to Sipkje Folkerts Boonstra,
                  born in Murmerwoude circa 1786, died in Dantumadeel on May 7, 1858, daughter
                  of Folke Ruurds and Jisseltje Fokkes.
                  He was married at the same time in Dantumadeel on August 31, 1818 (2) to
                  Minke Pieters van der Glas, born in Pietersburen/Munnekezijl in the year
                  1796, died in Dantumadeel on June 17, 1885, daughter of Pieter Tietes van
                  der Glas and Tietje Jans.

                  II-b Gosse Douwes Postma, born in Veenwouden on October 23, 1833, died in
                  Dantumadeel on October 1, 1912.
                  He was married in Dantumadeel on December 25, 1860 to Elisabeth Tjallings
                  van der Veen, born in Veenwouden on July 21, 1835, died in Dantumadeel on
                  April 27, 1897, daughter of Tjalling Romkes van der Veen and Pietje Douwes
                  van der Werf.

                  III-b Romke Gosses Postma, born in Veenwouden on January 7, 1866, died in
                  Kuikhorne on March 21, 1942.
                  He was married in Dantumadeel on May 23, 1891 to Baukje Theunis Postma, born
                  in Bergum on September 3, 1868, died in Kuikhorne on November 22, 1959,
                  daughter of Theunis Johannes Postma and Jantje Doedes Terluin.

                  IV-b Elisabeth Romkes Postma, born in Kuikhorne on June 13, 1906, died in
                  Veenwouden on April 23, 1978, buried there.
                  She was married in Murmerwoude on May 24, 1928 to Gerrit Adema, born in
                  Westergeest on June 1, 1902, died in Bergum on September 14, 1983, buried in
                  Veenwouden, son of Romke Broers Adema and Meintje Jans de Vries.

                  V-b Baukje Adema, born in Blessum on April 4, 1929.
                  She was married in Bergum on November 24, 1955 to Gerben van der Zwaag, born
                  in Wouterswoude on June 19, 1930, died in Groningen on September 28, 1994,
                  buried in Wouterswoude on October 3, 1994, son of Hemke van der Zwaag and
                  Gaeltje Douma.

                  VI-b Hemke van der Zwaag, born in Drachten on September 19, 1956.
                  He was married in Dokkum on March 26, 1982 to Jeltje Antje Wiegersma, born
                  in Leeuwarden on August 27, 1957, daughter of Willem Wiegersma and Antje
                  Annema.

                  > > I wonde where your parents came from. In my city,
                  > > Driesum, also lives
                  > > Hellinga's who emigrated to America.
                  > >
                  > > Jouke Dantuma.

                • Cathie Stevens
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2004
                    --- "H. van der Zwaag" <h.vander.zwaag@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > Veenwouden on April 23, 1978, buried there.
                    > She was married in Murmerwoude on May 24, 1928 to
                    > Gerrit Adema, born in
                    > Westergeest on June 1, 1902, died in Bergum on
                    > September 14, 1983, buried in
                    > Veenwouden, son of Romke Broers Adema and Meintje
                    > Jans de Vries.
                    >
                    > V-b Baukje Adema, born in Blessum on April 4, 1929.
                    > She was married in Bergum on November 24, 1955 to
                    > Gerben van der Zwaag, born
                    > in Wouterswoude on June 19, 1930, died in Groningen
                    > on September 28, 1994,
                    > buried in Wouterswoude on October 3, 1994, son of
                    > Hemke van der Zwaag and
                    > Gaeltje Douma.
                    >
                    > VI-b Hemke van der Zwaag, born in Drachten on
                    > September 19, 1956.
                    > He was married in Dokkum on March 26, 1982 to Jeltje
                    > Antje Wiegersma, born
                    > in Leeuwarden on August 27, 1957, daughter of Willem

                    Thank you for writing.How would we be related.I know I
                    have many times of Postma.And the family knew a family
                    of Dantumas.They lived nearby here.But I don't
                    remember the first name.I will have to ask my only
                    surviving aunt.She was married to my mothers younger
                    brother, Peter Terpstra.I find this so interesting.

                    Happy birthday! May I ask you your age?

                    Anything at all that you can tell me is very much
                    appreciated.Please keep in touch

                    Thank you,
                    Cathie Hellinga Stevens

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Suzie Ditmars
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
                      Is there any way to get this in English?

                      I am trying to get more details on my ancestor Jan Jansen van
                      Ditmarshen (Ditmars) who arrived in New Amsterdam before 1640.
                      He took the name of Ditmarshen as he was from that area which was then
                      in Denmark but now is in Germany. It is the Schleswig-Holstein area.
                      There were several Jan Jansen in New York then and so he like the
                      others added where he was from to his name. His son Jan, who was born
                      in New Amsterdam used Ditmars as his last name right from the
                      beginning.
                      He immigrated to Leeuwarden where he found his bride Aeltje or Neltje
                      Douwe and then on to New York. Apparently his mother's name was Jan
                      Sippke.
                      Can anyone help me any more information? I would love to go to
                      Leeuwarden but right now am in San Diego, California. I would
                      appreciate any info. And thanks,
                      Cheers,
                      Suzie Ditmars
                    • Betsy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
                        Suzie Ditmars Thank you for writing your family research in English. I enjoyed reading it Baukje Berendina Atema
[...]

                      • Herman van der Woude
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
                          Dear Suzie,

                          The language used in this group is Dutch. However, you can ask your
                          questions in English as there are many participants in the group who can
                          read that language. There even are people who can write (at least some)
                          English. But don't be surpised if someone answers you in Dutch.

                          Though I loved reading about your ancester, I cannot answer your question.
                          Hopefully someone else can. It seems that you belong to a long line of New
                          Yorkers (Nieuw Amsterdammers!) dating back to the early beginnings of that
                          town, very special!

                          Did you consider asking your question in a German (or Danish) genealogy
                          group? As far as I can find, Ditmarschen (note the letter c) is a district
                          (in German: Landkreis) in Schleswig-Holstein; I'm afraid there's no town or
                          village called Ditmarschen, which might make searching for your ancesters
                          not easier...

                          The name Ditmars gives several hits in Internet, and it seems that
                          Ancestry.com has a family registered by the name of Ditmars.

                          Wishing you lots of success, cheers!
                          Met vriendelijke groet
                          Herman van der Woude

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
                            I don't suppose that this could be him???

                            http://dougsinclairsarchives.com/ditmars/janditmarsen2.htm