Response on surname "Frisen" from East Frysk geneology group

  • wj2a2@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Dear Sirs:

      I bump into the surname "Friesen" every now and then, usually in
      Mennonite circles. I presume that it's East Frsyk/Ostfriesen.
      Would "Friesen" be a general grab-bag (for lack of a better term)
      surname like "De Vries" is among Netherlandic Frisians?

      Regards,

      W. Aardsma

      Yes, it means free. The name of the Friesen people in early times was
      the Fresii. Free people - they were so stubborn they did not like to
      have someone else rule them. Sound familiar?

      Best wishes, Lin

      Introducing NetZero Long Distance
      1st month Free!