Edsger Dijkstra......

  • Liekele HELMUS
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2002
      Eerbetoon Google aan Edsger Dijkstra
      Maandag, 12 augustus 2002 - Op de voorpagina van zoekmachine Google staat een link naar een pagina met een in memoriam voor de Nederlander Edsger Dijkstra.

      Door Maarten Reijnders 5 reacties

      Edsger Dijkstra overleed vorige week op 72-jarige leeftijd aan de gevolgen van kanker. Dijkstra werd beroemd door zijn bijdragen aan de informatica. Zijn ideeën over gestructureerd programmeren worden inmiddels in vrijwel alle programmeertalen toegepast.

      De in Nederland vrijwel onbekende Dijkstra genoot ......

      http://www.webwereld.nl/nav/nb?12110

      ...ja zo'n echte friese voor- en achternaam dan ga je ff via Varkevisser zoeken en vind je dit:

      ook een kleine blijk van eerbetoon!

      Geboorten regio 11: west Friesland

      Geboorteakte Franekeradeel (mairie Tzum), 1814
      Aangiftedatum 19 januari 1814, blad nr. 3
      Herre Dijkstra, geboren 17 januari 1814
      zoon van Edsger Herres Dijkstra en Tjietske Jacobs

    • hoekstraeb
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2002
        --- In Friesland-genealogy@y..., " Liekele HELMUS" <lhelmus@c...>
        wrote:
        > Eerbetoon Google aan Edsger Dijkstra
        > Maandag, 12 augustus 2002 - Op de voorpagina van zoekmachine
        Google staat een link naar een pagina met een in memoriam voor de
        Nederlander Edsger Dijkstra.

        A man of importance in the use of computers.

        [Some Quotes of Edsger Dijkstra

        "Always design your programs as a member of a whole family of
        programs, including those that are likely to succeed it"

        "Separate Concerns"

        "A Programming Language is a tool that has profound influence on our
        thinking habits"

        "The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size
        of his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in
        full humility, and among other things he avoids clever tricks like
        the plague" (from 1972 Turing Award Lecture)

        "Progress is possible only if we train ourselves to think about
        programs without thinking of them as pieces of executable code"

        "Program testing can best show the presence of errors but never their
        absence"

        "I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and
        dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders
        and say to yourself, "Dijkstra would not have liked this", well that
        would be enough immortality for me"

        Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
        11 May 1930, Rotterdam, Netherlands
        6 August 2002, Nuenen, Netherlands

        Achievement

        In 1968 Edsger Dijkstra laid the foundation stone in the march
        towards creating structure in the domain of programming by writing,
        not a scholarly paper on the subject, but instead a letter to the
        editor entitled "GO TO Statement Considered Harmful". (Comm. ACM,
        August 1968) The movement to develop reliable software was underway.

        Dykstra in one of his papers:

        My area of interest focuses on the streamlining of the mathematical
        argument so as to increase our powers of reasoning, in particular, by
        the use of formal techniques.

        Biography

        Edsger Wybe Dijkstra was born in Rotterdam, Netherlands in 1930. Both
        of his parents were intellectual people and had received good
        educations. His father was a chemist, and his mother was a
        mathematician. In 1942, when Dijkstra was 12 years old he entered the
        Gymnasium Erasminium, a high school for extremely bright students,
        and he was educated in a number of different subjects including:
        Greek, Latin, French, German, English, biology, mathematics, and
        chemistry.

        In 1945, Dijkstra thought that he might study law and possibly serve
        as a representative for the Netherlandds at the United Nations.
        However, due to the fact that he had scored so well in chemistry,
        mathematics, and physics, he entered the University of Leiden, where
        he decided to study theoretical physics. He went to summer school on
        the subject of programming at Cambridge University, during the summer
        of 1951. He began part-time work at the Mathematical Centre in
        Amsterdam in March 1952, which further helped fuel his growing
        interest in programming. He finished the requirements for his
        theoretical physics degree as quickly as possible and began to pursue
        his interests in progamming. One of the problems that he ran into,
        however was that programming still was not officially recognized as a
        profession. In fact, when he applied for a marriage license in 1957,
        he had to put down "theoretical physicist" as his profession.

        Dijkstra continued to work at the Mathematical Centre until he
        accepted a job as a research fellow for Burroughs Corporation, in the
        United States, in the early 1970s. He was awarded the ACM Turing
        Award in 1972. He was given the AFIPS Harry Goode Memorial Award in
        1974. Dijkstra moved to Austin, Texas in the early 1980s. In 1984 he
        was appointed to a chair in Computer Science at the University of
        Texas, Austin, where he has been ever since.

        Contributions to Computer Science:

        In 1956, Dijkstra came up with the "shortest-path algorithm", after
        he had been assigned the task of showing the powers of ARMAC, the
        computer that the Mathematical Centre had in it's possession; an
        algorithm which aids in finding the best way to travel between two
        points. He also used this to solve the problem of finding a way
        to "convey electricity to all essential circuits, while using as
        little expensive copper wire as possible" that the engineers that had
        designed the ARMAC ran into. He called it the "shortest subspanning
        tree algorithm." In the early 1960s, Dijkstra applied the idea of
        mutual exclusion to communications between a computer and its
        keyboard. He used the letters P and V to represent the two operations
        that go on in the mutual exclusion problem. This idea has become a
        part of pretty much all, modern processors and memory board since
        1964, when IBM first used it in its 360 architecture. The next
        problem that computer engineers must deal with that Dijkstra
        recognized was the "dining philosophers problem." In this problem,
        five philosophers are sitting at a table with a bowl of rice and a
        chopstick on either side of the bowl. The problem that arises is how
        the philosophers will be able to eat without coming to a "deadlock",
        ending up in a "starvation" situation, or a situation with "lack of
        fairness." He helped make the computer software industry a lot more
        disciplined by using one phrase: "GO TO considered harmful. This
        means that the more GO TO statements there are in a program the
        harder it is to follow the program's source code.

        Chronology

        1942 Gymnasium Erasminium

        1945 Entered the University of Leiden, Netherlands to study
        theoretical
        physics.

        1951 Summer school (Camebridge University) on the subject
        programmingelectronic computing devices, given by M.V. Wilkes

        Masters in Mathematics and Physics, Leiden, NL

        1952 Began part-time work at the Mathematical Centre in Amsterdam in
        March

        1956 PhD Theoretical Physics, Leiden, NL

        Dijkstra came up with the "shortest-path algorithm"

        1957 Married to Ria Debets Dijkstra, 40 yaar

        1959 PhD University of Amsterdam

        1960's Dijkstra let the world know: "GO TO considered harmful".

        1962 Appointed to the chair of mathematics at Eindhoven University
        (substitute for computer sciences)

        1973 Accepted a job as a research fellow for Burroughs Corporation,
        in the United States

        1984 Appointed to the Schlumberger Centennial Chair in Computer
        Science at the University of Texas, Austin, where he has been until
        his professor emiritus 1999

        1999 Professor Emiritus

        2001 Back to the Netherlands

        Honors and Awards

        member of the Bataafse Genootschap "De proefondervinderlijke
        Wijsbegeerte" (emperical philosophy) Rotterdam, 1964
        Member, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences 1971
        Distinguished Fellow, British Computer Society 1971
        ACM Turing Award, 1972
        AFIPS Harry Goode Memorial Award in 1974.
        Foreign Honorary Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1975
        Doctor of Science Honoris Causa, The Queen's University of Belfast,
        1976
        Computer Pioneer Award, IEEE Computer Society, 1982
        ACM Fellow 1994
        Doctor of Science Honoris Causa, University of Athens, Geogia USA
        Department of Mathematics, 2002
        PODC Influential paper Award ACM conferences on Pirnciples of
        distributed Computing, 2002

        Eric Hoekstra