Re: [Friesland-genealogy] FW: 1800's spelling revision?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2002
      Dear Mr. Aardsma,

      I'm not aware of any spelling revision in the Netherlands in the early 1800's.
      But there are several possibillities for the spellingchanges in names of people and places in the early nineteenth century.
      First: there was no standard for the spelling of names.
      Secondly many people were illiterate, so in those cases, when registering a familyname in 1811 (as all Dutch were ordered to) the recordist was the one who decided on the spelling.
      For Frisians however, there was a third reason. Although having their own laguage and spelling, Frisian names were mostly translated into Dutch and registered "the Dutch way". E.g. the name "de Vries" (Dutch spelling) was registered for many people in 1811, but it is very likely that it was meant as "de Fries" (Frisian spelling), which means "the Frisian", but only in a limited number of cases it was actually written as "de Fries". I can't imagine why the founders of the settlement Vriesland chose to use th Dutch spelling, as I recall they were all Frisians themselves (lead by the Rev. Marten Anne Ypma from Minnertsga and his wife Jetske van der Tol.). As they were part of a much larger (Dutch) group that emigrated to that area of Michigan for religious reasons, perhaps the Dutch spiritual leaders (the Rev. van Raalte being one of them) had chosen the names for those settlements and therefore used the Dutch spelling.

      The Aartsma - Aardsma change is caused, I think, by a spelling mistake. The "sound" of the name doesn't change whether you us a -d or a -t.

      With kind regards,
      Nynke van den Hooven,
      Koudekerke, Zeeland, Netherlands, not MI :-)