55576FW: [Friesland-genealogy] mannenhemd 1712 family Smits Balk/Koudum

  • JP Mels
    Aug 4, 2013
      _____

      Van: JP Mels [mailto:jpmels01@...]
      Verzonden: zondag 4 augustus 2013 23:49
      Aan: 'Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com'
      Onderwerp: RE: [Friesland-genealogy] mannenhemd 1712 family Smits
      Balk/Koudum

      Hello Michèle,

      This garment is a “doodshemd”, my dear wife has seen those in her family.

      I send some links in this message. All in Dutch. Some words in the
      explanation on these sites are in old Dutch, some words in local dialect.
      Don’t hesitate to ask for further explanation.

      In a separate mail I will send a picture of a cupboard what a bride became
      to her wedding, if the family was rich enough! Can’t find a picture on the
      internet.

      <http://berthi.textile-collection.nl/2008/09/17/doodshemd/>
      http://berthi.textile-collection.nl/2008/09/17/doodshemd/

      On this site Hellendoorn is mentioned. In Nijverdal we live.

      <http://www.deweekkrant.nl/pages.php?page=1901859>
      http://www.deweekkrant.nl/pages.php?page=1901859

      Wait a little, this site needs time to come over.

      <http://www.friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/indeling/det
      ail/start/344/trefwoord/Hoofdcategorie/Geschiedenis%20van%20Sneek%20en%20omg
      eving>
      http://www.friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/indeling/deta
      il/start/344/trefwoord/Hoofdcategorie/Geschiedenis%20van%20Sneek%20en%20omge
      ving

      So, about the initiales? Can’t tell you. Can be both male or female. We
      think the date is important, it should be the wedding date.

      Again, please ask if there are questions. We will try to find an answer.

      Regards, Johan and Marja.

      _____