      Regards, Johan.

      Van: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:Friesland-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com> ] Namens Michèle van
      Verzonden: vrijdag 2 augustus 2013 17:08
      Aan: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Onderwerp: [Friesland-genealogy] mannenhemd 1712 family Smits Balk/Koudum

      Dear members,

      I have an old mystery to solve which has kept me searching for many years
      for an ancestor of mine who owned a mannenhemd with the initials R.I. and a
      date 1712 stitched in with needlework (borduurwek).

      This garment was past down our family for many generations. According to
      the family story that came along with the garment it once belonged to a
      Roulke, but who knows it might have been a Rincke or any other R related

      It was past down the Smits family originating out of Balk with Frans
      Pieters Smits 1771-1827 who moved to Koudum, Hemelumer Oldeferd and took
      the name Smits in 1812. Looking at Tresoar archive I presume his father
      was Pihter Franses +/- 1740 Balk and perhaps his father was Frans Jacobus
      1723 Balk and his father Jacob NN ?

      According to a conservator of mode en textiel from the Fries Museum the
      date does not necessarily correspond to a birth date it could be marriage
      or ? Names were placed on garments and linens because they were sometimes
      brought to a gemeenschappelijke wasserij where they were bleached.

      Would someone in this group have or know where to find the complete Smits
      ancestor tree prior to 1812 name change from Balk / Koudum area an
      preferably as far back as possible. I'm stuck at at Jacob NN */- 1700

      As you are aware the I can be a I or J or Y for Ynse. So far I have not
      been able to solve this mystery and living far away in the Caribbean makes
      visiting the archives in person impossible.

      You may write in Dutch I do read and speak but written Dutch is more

      Kind regards
      Michèle van Veldhoven