      From: Nynke van den Hooven [mailto:nynkevandenhooven@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 1:23 PM
      To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Re: Sjoerd Dijkstra - Doetje deVries

      Ron, you shouldn't be looking for a middle name.
      In the Netherlands familynames weren't used until 1811. Up till then the
      patronymic (which to you must look like a middle name) was used to
      distinguish people. So in the case of Sjoerd Dijkstra, he would in his own
      village be known as Sjoerd Annes (Dijkstra) meaning Sjoerd the son of Anne.
      So you have to look for an Anne Dijkstra with a father called Sjoerd:
      Birth certificate Barradeel
      Registration date 24 August 1840, nr. 109
      Anne Dijkstra, born 22 August 1840
      son of Sjoerd Broers Dijkstra and Jantje Willems Poelstra

      So now we know that his greatgrandfather's first name was Broer. But I guess
      he was born before 1811, so you will find no records (online) for him.
      You could try the Familyname registration of 1811 and search for Broer
      Dijkstra.

      As for Doetje, her father was Sake de Vries and her grandfather was Jan de
      Vries
      So I guess this was the birth certificate of her father:
      Birth certificate Barradeel
      Registration date 13 december 1847:
      Sake de Vries, son of J S de Vries en D D Kooistra (Probably Jan Sakes de
      Vries and Doetje Dirks Kooistra; the latter I found through a search on the
      Familyname registration of 1811)

      Registered in 1811: Kooistra, Dirk Koerts, living in the village of
      Pietersbierum;
      children: Koert (male) aged 41, Tietje (female) aged 31, living in Wijnaldum
      grandchildren:
      (from Koert) Dirk 16, Doetje 14, Antje 10, Anna 8, Richtje 8,
      (from Dirk Jans living in Wijnaldum) Dirk 10, Antje 8, Doetje 6 (the one who
      married J(an) S(akes) de Vries.
      Mairie Sexbierum, part 2, fol. 21

      I hope I've helped you somewhat further.
      Nynke.