50286RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Jan Pieters Terpstra and Saapke Jans Boersma

    Jul 17, 2010
      Charlene,

      No, it would be highly unlikely to find gravesites of 19th century (or
      earlier) ancestors in the Netherlands.

      Yes, it is possible that there would be land records (i.e. after 1831), but
      only if your ancestors possessed land of course. Which, according to estate
      tax records, they did. At least Saapke Jans Boersma did. According to the
      estate tax record she possessed real estate at the time of her death in
      1878. Possibly in Tzummarum.

      No, your ancestors probably didn’t speak Dutch, but Frisian, as that was the
      common language in the province of Friesland.

      In the 1800s Dutch people could have had various religions, but the main
      religion would probably have been Protestant (i.e. Dutch Reformed). In the
      pre-1811 baptism registrations you can find what religion your ancestors
      had. E.g. Jan Pieters Terpstra was baptised Dutch Reformed. So were Saapke’s
      siblings. Cor apparently only found a birth date for Saapke in the marital
      supplements of the marriage certificate, which could imply she was not
      baptised at all.

      Kind regards,

      Nynke van den Hooven

      _____