48314RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Hein Jaarsma, Gerlof Bajema & Sjoukje

    Aug 31, 2009
      John,

      It’s possible that Gerlof bought (or inherited) the motorbike and therefore
      registered it to his name after Hein had died.

      Ymker de féarts is Ymker, the veterinarian.

      According to the book Koudum fan doe en nou, Koudum 1978, side 168 (Koudum
      then and now, published Koudum 1978, page 168) by G. Koopmans the second
      picture is one of the vet Dr. Ymker. But according to another entry it’s
      possible that Mr. Koopmans (the author of the book) got the wrong data from
      the owner of the picture or that Jaarsma bought the motorbike previously
      owned by Dr. Ymker…..

      Cause of death is not registered in Dutch death certificates. According to
      the death announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Hein died in the
      Diaconessenhuis (a hospital) in Amsterdam after “painful suffering”.

      According to notarial archives Sjoukje Klazes Bajema bought a house in
      Koudum in December 1913.

      In January 1914 she (and Wiebe Durks Jaarsma) sold several lots of land in
      Koudum.

      In 1928 Wiebe D. Jaarsma and Gerritje Klijnstra are celebrating their 50th
      wedding anniversary. In the announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Sjoukje
      is listed as the widow H. Jaarsma-Bajema. Sjoukje didn’t remarry. Sjoukje is
      also referred to as the widow H. Jaarsma-Bajema in Wiebe D. Jaarsma’s death
      announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant in October 1939.

      It seems to me she never left Koudum.

      According to a marriage announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant, Hitje
      Jaarsma married Kornelis T. Boonstra on 23-05-1929

      According to a death announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant, Cornelis Tjerks
      Boonstra died in California in June 1972 at the age of 83.

      That would have been the following Kornelis:

      Geboorteakte Baarderadeel, 1889
      Aangiftedatum 29 mei 1889, akte nr. 79
      Kornelis Boonstra, geboren 28 mei 1889
      Zoon van Tjerk Kornelis Boonstra en Akke Hendriks Palsma

      And

      California Death Index:

      Name: Corneliu T Boonstra

      Social Security #: 556528866

      Sex: MALE

      Birth Date: 28 May 1889

      Birthplace: Netherlands

      Death Date: 14 Jun 1972

      Death Place: Los Angeles

      Apparently Kornelis had lived in America prior to his marriage to Hitje,
      because I found his Naturalisation record dated June 1st, 1918. Born in
      Wieuwerd.

      And yes, also an immigration record: Kornelis arrived in New York aboard the
      Noordam on March 2, 1909, on his way to Springfield South Dakota where a
      Palsma uncle lived.

      Cornelis draft registration card for WWI was drawn up in Bon Homme, South
      Dakota.

      According to the SSDI Hattie Boonstra (Hitje Jaarsma) died in La Palma,
      Orange Co., CA on 24 Jan 1997.

      Then I found Thitje (34), Cornelius (50), Sjoukje (5) and Akke (10 months)
      Boonstra aboard the Excalibur, arriving in New York on 15 May 1940. They
      embarked at Genoa in Italy on 2 May 1940. Cornelius is described as husband
      accompanying alien wife. For the girls no entries have been made reg place
      of birth; they’re accompanying their alien mother :-), whose last place of
      residence was Roordahuizum. As address of nearest relative in “country
      whence alien came” the following entry is listed: Mrs. J.S. Jaarsma (mother)
      Koudum, Holland. The party is on its way to 3923 Spencer St., Torrance,
      California.

      On 18 Sept 1953 a Boonstra party consisting of Peter, Tedde, Anna and Hattie
      Boonstra arrive in New York aboard a KLM aircraft on their way to Los
      Angeles from there.

      Apparently Sjoukje and Gerlof were halfbrother and –sister? I found a death
      announcement for the widow of Gerlof K. Bajema. According to her death
      announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Gerlof died on 22 Jan 1971; Magdalena
      Giesing, his widow, died in November 1973 in Beetgumermolen. They apparently
      had one daughter living in The Hague at that time.

      Nothing on Gerritje Jaarsma other then her birth on 4 Jan 1907 in Koudum.

      Kind regards,

      Nynke van den Hooven.

      _____