44639RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Re: Translation for "huislieden" and "doopheffer"

  • Ernst-Jan Munnik
    Jul 31, 2008
      Hi Betty,

      Frits' translation is partly incorrect: here, "huislieden" (plural for: huisman) means: farmers. "Doopheffer" is the person who - literally - holds the child during the baptism. This is mostly done by the godparents, but sometimes, when there are no godparents, the parents holds the child themselves. In this case, the father.

      Kind regards,

      Ernst-Jan Munnik

      To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: schipper8@...: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:12:23 +0000Subject: [Friesland-genealogy] Re: Translation for "huislieden" and "doopheffer"

      --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bdejong99" <bdejong99@...> wrote:>> Hello!> > Can anyone help me? My dictionary does not have the words, huislieden > or doopheffer. The following is from a notation in a birth notice of a > relative.> > De ouders, huislieden, wonen onder Lollum, de vader is doopheffer.> > Kindest regards,> Betty Hughes>The parents,the family,live near Lollum,the dad is the godfather.kindest regards,Frits.