35668Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Wat betekent vader is weduwnaar.

  • betsyagravatt
    Oct 31, 2006
      It was very helpful to have the English translation Your English is very
      good if one were to compare my knowledge of Dutch or Frisian ! This
      meant that I could start my vocabulary : of a list of words with the
      English meaning so I can learn a little Dutch

      One kind genealogist sent me the address for "Babel" which is a place where
      they will translate Dutch to English. I have a few books in Dutch about an
      ancestor Dr. Lutjen Wagenaar who married Hiltje Hoekstra. Hoekstra is my
      Mother's maiden name.

      The book RISPINGE alde en nije fersen fen Pieter Jelles Published in 1920.
      In the foreward , all in Dutch, I think Dr. L. Wagenaar was being
      praised. Also there is a poem in which he is mentioned. I wish I could
      find the http://Babel address so I could find out what this book is about.

      I don't understand why the "vader is weduwnaar" It may have something to do
      with his marrying a Dutch Reformed woman and not a Catholic woman? Would
      the Catholic Church of that day need to have it stated that he was "cleared"
      to marry again? I wish I could help but I am new to genealogy; new to
      computers; and very very new to Dutch language. Thank you for the
      translation. Baukje Berendina Atema betsyagravatt@...