23050Re: Naamgewing in Friesland/Nederland

  • Walraven Koster
    Nov 11, 2004
      I've got the wrong name too, for yet another reason. It should have
      been Klaas but for my grandfather. He was unwilling to be
      'vernoemd'(his grandchild getting his name). So I got the name of my
      other grandfather (in 1956), and my brothers are named after their
      grandmothers.

      Walraven Koster.

      --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Otte"
      <edotte@o...> wrote:

      > Beste Dan,
      >
      > The general subject of this thread is very interesting judging from
      > the number of replies and additions to the original post. But allow
      > me to interject yet more on the naming system in the generations that
      > came to America down to me. For three generations after coming to
      > America every child was named according to the tradition. I was the
      > first named differently by my father! Then after me, for some odd
      > reason, he had a change of heart and starting naming all the children
      > by that naming tradtion. Traditions die hard.
      >
      > Edward (should have been Richard/ Dirk) Otte :-)
      >

      > > Beste Edward,
      > >
      > > Over the years I have come across situations in which a child is
      > > given a name that does not include a patronymic. I have seen them
      > in
      > > the 1700's and 1800's. The situations were somewhat unique in that
      > > the son was named after an uncle that had recently died and (in the
      > > 1700's) the family had a surname that was generally used. There
      > were
      > > some other occasions, all in the same family, where the children of
      > > dominie were given names that were completely outside of the normal
      > > naming conventions. I assumed that the father probably came from
      > > another province other than Friesland, where the convention was not
      > > as strictly adhered to. May experience over thousands of names is
      > > that the use of patronymics was nearly universal in Friesland and
      > > that the naming convention for the first two sons and first two
      > > daughters was widely adhered to.
      > >
      > > Thanks. Met vriendelijke groeten.
      > >
      > > Dan Sinema
      > > dansinema@m...
      > >
      > > --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Otte"
      > > <edotte@o...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Beste Group,
      > > >
      > > > Is any aware of an patronymic naming case in which one child does
      > > not
      > > > carry the father's name but some other? What I am saying is that
      > > > have an ancestor, who by all records is a son of Derk Jans Buis
      > > from
      > > > Groningen and all of the children are properly named according to
      > > the
      > > > strick rules of the patronymic system and have "middle" names of
      > > > DERKS but for my one ancestor Klaas GEERTS Buis. Is there some
      > rule
      > > > for the deviation here or is it possible he was actually a son of
      > > > brother of Derk Jans Buis?
      > > >
      > > > Edward Otte
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic