23046Re: Naamgewing in Friesland/Nederland

  • dansinema
    Nov 10, 2004
      Beste Edward,

      Over the years I have come across situations in which a child is
      given a name that does not include a patronymic. I have seen them in
      the 1700's and 1800's. The situations were somewhat unique in that
      the son was named after an uncle that had recently died and (in the
      1700's) the family had a surname that was generally used. There were
      some other occasions, all in the same family, where the children of a
      dominie were given names that were completely outside of the normal
      naming conventions. I assumed that the father probably came from
      another province other than Friesland, where the convention was not
      as strictly adhered to. May experience over thousands of names is
      that the use of patronymics was nearly universal in Friesland and
      that the naming convention for the first two sons and first two
      daughters was widely adhered to.

      Thanks. Met vriendelijke groeten.

      Dan Sinema
      dansinema@...

      --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Otte"
      <edotte@o...> wrote:

      > Beste Group,
      >
      > Is any aware of an patronymic naming case in which one child does
      not
      > carry the father's name but some other? What I am saying is that I
      > have an ancestor, who by all records is a son of Derk Jans Buis
      from
      > Groningen and all of the children are properly named according to
      the
      > strick rules of the patronymic system and have "middle" names of
      > DERKS but for my one ancestor Klaas GEERTS Buis. Is there some rule
      > for the deviation here or is it possible he was actually a son of a
      > brother of Derk Jans Buis?
      >
      > Edward Otte
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic