23018Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Naamgewing in Friesland/Nederland

  • Ginny Sanchez
    Nov 9, 2004
      I'm new to this myself, but I velieve that has to do with the
      patronymic naming system--Gerrit Reinders Visser, for example, may
      have had a father with the first name of Reinder.

      There's a nice guide over at
      http://www.godutch.com/genealogy/basics/index.asp to help you get
      started; he begins discussing naming conventions in chapter 11.

      Ginny

      On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:23:40 -0800 (PST), Reinderd Visser
      <reinderd2003@...> wrote:
      > I am only starting to research my ancestors in Friesland so everything is
      > quite new to me. Tresoar.com is giving me a good start, I must add. I have a
      > question, though. I note that the middle names of the families that I am
      > researching are usually the same, for example - Reinder Klazes Visser and
      > Ybeltje Klazes Visser (brother and sister); Gerrit Reinders Visser and Yke
      > Reinders Visser (ditto). Can someone explain the reason for that, please?
      >
      > Thank you kindly.
      >
      > Reinderd Visser
      > South Africa

      > Genealogy yn Fryslân: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.
      >
      > Het archief van deze lijst voor Friese genealogen met daarin alle sinds 8
      > juli 1999 geposte berichten staat op
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Friesland-genealogy
      >
      > Om uw abonnement te beëindigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar:
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Ginny
      http://www.ginnysanchez.com
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic