23015Re: Naamgewing in Friesland/Nederland

  • Walraven Koster
    Nov 9, 2004
      Reinderd,

      In Friesland during the 18th century it is quite usual to find de name
      of the father as patronym in the childs' name. So Gerrit Reinders
      Visser and Yke Reinders Visser woud be children of a Reinder Visser
      (Reinder Klazes Visser?) and the father of Reinder and Ybeltje would
      be called Klaas.

      Walraven Koster.

      --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Reinderd Visser
      <reinderd2003@y...> wrote:
      > I am only starting to research my ancestors in Friesland so
      everything is quite new to me. Tresoar.com is giving me a good start,
      I must add. I have a question, though. I note that the middle names of
      the families that I am researching are usually the same, for example -
      Reinder Klazes Visser and Ybeltje Klazes Visser (brother and sister);
      Gerrit Reinders Visser and Yke Reinders Visser (ditto). Can someone
      explain the reason for that, please?