1515Re: [Friesland-genealogy] napoleonic decree of 1811

  • MCTeichert@aol.com
    Jul 11, 2000
      In a message dated 07/10/2000 4:48:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
      gpieterse@... writes:

      > hat I would also like to know is why the name "de Vries",
      > understandably prevalent in Friesland and a popular choice in 1811, is
      > also prevalent in the rest of the Netherlands as well as in the Dutch
      > Jewish community? Were these names also chosen during Napoleon's rule,
      > or did they come through from a much earlier age?

      Some people used surnames (both Dutch and Frisian) prior to 1811. Some people
      chose a surname in 1811. Naturally some people left Friesland and went south
      into Holland etc. Those that went to non-Frisian regions of the Netherlands,
      were usually called 'the Frisian' by locals. The newcomer probably spoke
      Dutch with an accent.

      I can't comment about the Jewish community. Perhaps a larger portion of the
      Jews in the NL's went to Friesland first and then moved south. I really don't
      know.

      Matthias Teichert

      "Ball ist rund. Spiel dauert neunzig Minuten. Soviel ist schon mal klar.
      Alles andere ist Theorie. Und Ab!" - Schuster, Lola Rennt.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic