1510Re: [Friesland-genealogy] napoleonic decree of 1811

  • Gerda
    Jul 10 2:52 PM
      Hi Andreas,

      The Frisians did indeed inhabit a vast part of Scandinavia,
      particularly Denmark, much of the Lowlands and parts of Gr Brittain.
      The small regions that remain today, and are artificially divided
      between countries, are just a fraction of their former sphere of
      influence.

      I always wonder if there is a relationship between some Frisian names
      and French names. The names Ytjen and Ettienne or Sake and Jacques
      spring to mind immediately, but I have noticed more.

      What I would also like to know is why the name "de Vries",
      understandably prevalent in Friesland and a popular choice in 1811, is
      also prevalent in the rest of the Netherlands as well as in the Dutch
      Jewish community? Were these names also chosen during Napoleon's rule,
      or did they come through from a much earlier age?

      Regards, met vriendelijke groet

      Gerda