1508Re: [Friesland-genealogy] napoleonic decree of 1811

  • andr.mehlsen laustsen
    Jul 10, 2000
      Hello all Frisians (especially Hans, Rinske, and Siebrigje)!
      The custom mentioned for giving names (at least) has been dominant in
      peasant families all over Western Jutland; e.g. I was in 1928 given the
      names of my paternal grandfather: Andreas Mehlsen Laustsen. The Mehlsen (or
      Melsen or Meelsen)- name is supposed to be either Dutch or Frisian - it goes
      back to the early 18th century at least. In many Danish families (also in my
      own) we find the name Friis, a fact that suggests Frisian ancestors.
      I should like some comments on these assumptions.
      Kind regards
      A.Mehlsen L.