has anyone used the s/pdif output successfully?

  • chrisbob12
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2010
      Firstly, I would like to know if anyone has used the s/pdif out successfully. Previous posts seem ambiguous on the matter.

      Secondly, here's the technical details:

      The reason I ask is I have only had partial success in connecting to the s/pdif input on my MOTU Traveller sound card. If I set the Traveler up to slave its clock from the s/pdif input, then I have silence. If I let the Traveller use its internal clock, then I get sound, though very noisy with perhaps some distortion. Clearly there is a signal coming out. And yes, I have set the digital output of the OB12 to 'on' in the system menu, and checked the bus selection matches the patch.

      I am using a longish proprietary coaxial lead (3 or 5 metres) sold for digital signal connection, but not outside the s/pdif specification.

      I have tried different sample rates, and 44.1KHz gets the least worse result: 48KHz gives a sound, but there are extra sounds which sound like aliasing.

      I would appreciate suggestions and thoughts on this as well as knowing if anyone has got it to work.

      Regards, Chris.
    • somethingkillingyou
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2010
        wtf!? if you're using your spdif as a source for incoming clock messages, no wonder you get no sound!

        and what is 'ambiguous' about last post?

        with my own sound card @ 44.1 khz 16 bit the spdif output sounds like crap, but it gets much better if I use an higher sample rate ( >48 khz). but then I don't want to record at higher sample rates!
        it is pointless and it just wastes a lot of space in my hd.
        I haven't tried another bitrate, but I guess you would just have advantages sound-quality-wise if you use an higher bitrate too.
        but then you'll end up with more wasted space and huge wav files...
        which can be a problem with your daw...
        from start, I just wanted to free 2 channels on the mixer, but I see no advantage in using the spdif, so I gave up using it.
        maybe the cable is also too log a/o bad quality, anyway I just suggest not to use the spdif with the OB12.

        F.

        --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, "chrisbob12" <chris.brasted@...> wrote:

        > Firstly, I would like to know if anyone has used the s/pdif out successfully. Previous posts seem ambiguous on the matter.
        >
        > Secondly, here's the technical details:
        >
        > The reason I ask is I have only had partial success in connecting to the s/pdif input on my MOTU Traveller sound card. If I set the Traveler up to slave its clock from the s/pdif input, then I have silence. If I let the Traveller use its internal clock, then I get sound, though very noisy with perhaps some distortion. Clearly there is a signal coming out. And yes, I have set the digital output of the OB12 to 'on' in the system menu, and checked the bus selection matches the patch.
        >
        > I am using a longish proprietary coaxial lead (3 or 5 metres) sold for digital signal connection, but not outside the s/pdif specification.
        >
        > I have tried different sample rates, and 44.1KHz gets the least worse result: 48KHz gives a sound, but there are extra sounds which sound like aliasing.
        >
        > I would appreciate suggestions and thoughts on this as well as knowing if anyone has got it to work.
        >
        > Regards, Chris.

      • Tobias Radeskog
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2010
          Hi!

          I get a good lock onto the SPDIF signal with my Terratec DMX 6Fire. Terratec control panel reports clock = 48000 Hz.
          It plays well through a Philips MZ-3 compact audio system which happens to have a RCA SPDIF input as well.

          To: FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com
          From: chris.brasted@...
          Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:05:52 +0000
          Subject: [OB12] has anyone used the s/pdif output successfully?

[...]

          Keep your friends updated— even when you’re not signed in.
        • jerker.lindborg
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2010
            I use 48kHz set manually on my EMU 0404-card.
            Sounds great.
            44,1kHz does not sound good at all. Just aliasing noise together with the sound.

            Good Luck!