Skip to search.

guess what?! my display is dying...

  • somethingkillingyou
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
      hello folks,

      yesterday the display started flickering very bad; after a few minutes the right side of the display became considerably darker than the left side...

      I opened the thing up looking for the display connector... though it didn't seem to be the firmiest thing in the world, unless the thing is totally disconnected, I noticed no change in the display back-light: the display was totally dark when disconnected or the way I described it before. there was no way to totally make it lit, so it was not a connector problem at all...

      now, what can I do?!

      the problem seems to be only the back light, while the display in itself even without back-light shows pages content regularly, the pixels are all there and there is no problem other that the backlight (-> leds!)

      can anyone point me in the right direction!? I think I can still change the leds, before trying to replace the whole display, no!?
      (well I won't do it myself, but I can ask someone to do it for me, with the right parts and the right know-how...)

      greetings

      Fabio
    • sam cooper
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
        look in the file folder here and run the boot program.. That worked for me years ago when my whole screen went black. I didn't save my sounds either, just did it. but you may want to. just to be safe.
        Something else I noticed the screen lights up different in fast mode and slow mode when you turn it on to.

        Check me out!

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
          I don't know, my OB's display is not totally black, it is just slightly darker in the right side (near the alpha-dial), and we all heard horror stories about software updates and the likes, so it may be a risk... IMHO, I don't think it's a software problem, it's just the same old story about the flickering (and then dying) display... or am I wrong?!

          all in all, I think this display lasted more than others because my OB was not used on a daily base... I rarely used it for years, but lately I've started programming it 'properly' and I'm using it everyday, so the dying process went through a speed up all of a sudden...

          anyway, when I opened the synth I could not find the internal backup battery... where the hell did they place it?! it has to be replaced before or then, and I think my OB is from 2002 (bought it new in 2005, anyway), so it will be a problem in a few years (yes, it's a keeper for me, it's my very first synth so I love it also for this reason)...

          Fabio

          --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, sam cooper <djinahzone@...> wrote:

          > look in the file folder here and run the boot program.. That worked for me years ago when my whole screen went black. I didn't save my sounds either, just did it. but you may want to. just to be safe.
          > Something else I noticed the screen lights up different in fast mode and slow mode when you turn it on to.
          >

          > Check me out!

        • Oliver Fairhall
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2009
            Hi, sorry folks, I replied to the wrong message before...

            Oliver Fairhall wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Is there really any way that software could affect this issue? It sounds
            > like a purely hardware matter to me. From memory, there is one circuit
            > for the LED back lighting, for both sides of the display. There is no
            > option for software to control the left and right side illumination
            > separately. It just seems that the right hand side LEDs have burnt out
            > slightly earlier than the left.
            >
            > Swapping the LEDs is not an easy fix, as they are encapsulated in the
            > display (for the original display). For me, I would just replace the
            > display entirely, as it is probably reaching the end of its useful life
            > anyway. I think a display replacement is a much easier job, though is of
            > course more costly than a few LEDs. However, if you were paying someone
            > else to do the work, then I expect a new replacement would be cheaper.
            > You can have a look at my previous posts for a suitable replacement
            > unit. The I used cost ~$US65.
            >
            > Hope that helps.
            >
            > Oli
            >
            > somethingkillingyou wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > in your case, I think you should use the boot file (boot_152.mid)
            before