[OB12] Re: display repair - how to

  • xigronaus
    Message 1 of 16 , May 13, 2008
      Hi,
      I just got my OB12 yesterday and I am very excited about it! However, I have noticed that
      shortly after turning it on, the display is flickering slightly (close to the left edge area). After
      1-2 minutes it stops and then sometimes flicker randomly for a few seconds or doesn't
      flicker at all. I read through you posts and I see that display issue is a common one. I am just
      wondering if this flickering does necessary mean that my display will die, or is it just a
      common effect that wont lead to any major failure.
      Thanks for letting me in to the forum! :D
    • ENSEMBLE R-WW
      Message 2 of 16 , May 13, 2008
        Hi, the flickering is pretty terminal as far as the display goes...mine flickered for a few weeks, then just died. It seems most people report this as a problem.
        Of course, you can get by with shining a light on the display to read it, or just use midi control, but, its annoying.
        I paid to get mine repaired (expensive, but now it positively radiates light, and is as good as new again!), but other people on this forum have repaired the display themselves, with a bit of technical know how.

        xigronaus <lpiwek@...> wrote:
        Hi,
        I just got my OB12 yesterday and I am very excited about it! However, I have noticed that
        shortly after turning it on, the display is flickering slightly (close to the left edge area). After
        1-2 minutes it stops and then sometimes flicker randomly for a few seconds or doesn't
        flicker at all. I read through you posts and I see that display issue is a common one. I am just
        wondering if this flickering does necessary mean that my display will die, or is it just a
        common effect that wont lead to any major failure.
        Thanks for letting me in to the forum! :D

      • ian butters
        Message 3 of 16 , May 14, 2008
          Hi, I had this problem 4 or five years ago and I found it to be just a bad fitting connector inside and stuck it in place with sticky tape. My OB12 cureently gigs up and down the UK every two weeks or so, in and out of a van etc etc and I've never had a problem since.

          Maybe there are other causes to this problem but so far so good for mine.

          L.

          To: FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com
          From: r.ww@...
          Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:47:02 +0100
          Subject: Re: [OB12] Re: display repair - how to

          xigronaus <lpiwek@...> wrote:
          Hi,
          I just got my OB12 yesterday and I am very excited about it! However, I have noticed that
          shortly after turning it on, the display is flickering slightly (close to the left edge area). After
          1-2 minutes it stops and then sometimes flicker randomly for a few seconds or doesn't
          flicker at all. I read through you posts and I see that display issue is a common one. I am just
          wondering if this flickering does necessary mean that my display will die, or is it just a
          common effect that wont lead to any major failure.
          Thanks for letting me in to the forum! :D

        • somethingkillingyou
          Message 4 of 16 , May 14, 2008
            I have this flickering problem, occasionally...

            there seems to be a ghost inside it...

            sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not...

            one day I'll open it up and see what's wrong there...
            if the problem is the same as yours, I can fix it myself, otherwise
            I'll ask someone to repair the leds and stuff...

            I hope the lcd won't burn, meanwhile...

            --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, ian butters <ianbtrs@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I had this problem 4 or five years ago and I found it to be just
            a bad fitting connector inside and stuck it in place with sticky tape.
            My OB12 cureently gigs up and down the UK every two weeks or so, in
            and out of a van etc etc and I've never had a problem since.

            > Maybe there are other causes to this problem but so far so good for
            mine.

            > L.
            >

            > To: FriendsofOB12@...: r.ww@...: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:47:02
            +0100Subject: Re: [OB12] Re: display repair - how to

            Message 5 of 16 , May 14, 2008
              I like the idea of flickering ghost the most ;-)
              The idea of replacing LCD is thrilling considering that I would probably solder myself into
              this LCD...
              Well, I guess I will see. I might try tape-on-connector approach as Ian suggested. Love
              the synth tho - it is like a dream machine - everything is possible to tweak and program!
              Thanks for your replies folks!

              --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, "somethingkillingyou"
              <somethingkillingyou@...> wrote:

              > I have this flickering problem, occasionally...
              >
              > there seems to be a ghost inside it...
              >
              > sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not...
              >
              > one day I'll open it up and see what's wrong there...
              > if the problem is the same as yours, I can fix it myself, otherwise
              > I'll ask someone to repair the leds and stuff...
              >
              > I hope the lcd won't burn, meanwhile...
              >

              > --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, ian butters <ianbtrs@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi, I had this problem 4 or five years ago and I found it to be just
              > a bad fitting connector inside and stuck it in place with sticky tape.
              > My OB12 cureently gigs up and down the UK every two weeks or so, in
              > and out of a van etc etc and I've never had a problem since.
              > >
              > > Maybe there are other causes to this problem but so far so good for
              > mine.
              > >
              > > L.
              > >

              > > To: FriendsofOB12@: r.ww@: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:47:02
              > +0100Subject: Re: [OB12] Re: display repair - how to
              > >

              > > Hi, the flickering is pretty terminal as far as the display
              > goes...mine flickered for a few weeks, then just died. It seems most
              > people report this as a problem.
              > > Of course, you can get by with shining a light on the display to
              > read it, or just use midi control, but, its annoying.
              > > I paid to get mine repaired (expensive, but now it positively
              > radiates light, and is as good as new again!), but other people on
              > this forum have repaired the display themselves, with a bit of
              > technical know how.
              > > Rxigronaus <lpiwek@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi,I just got my OB12 yesterday and I am very excited about it!
              > However, I have noticed that shortly after turning it on, the display
              > is flickering slightly (close to the left edge area). After 1-2
              > minutes it stops and then sometimes flicker randomly for a few seconds
              > or doesn't flicker at all. I read through you posts and I see that
              > display issue is a common one. I am just wondering if this flickering
              > does necessary mean that my display will die, or is it just a common
              > effect that wont lead to any major failure. Thanks for letting me in
              > to the forum! :D

            • JJ Keel
              Message 6 of 16 , May 18, 2008
                Interesting, is it hard to take apart?

                -Jay

                To: FriendsofOB12@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 16 , May 18, 2008
                  Yeah, I think I'm just gonna leave the swapping function off, it seems to be fine otherwise thanks to those files!! I don't know where I would have found them have you not helped.

                  Thanks!!!

                  Best,

                  -Jay

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 19, 2008
                    I posted this on here in July 2003. Hope it helps.....

                    "I had a problem with the display back light flickering. I opened the synth up by removing the five screws on the base panel situated under the wooden end pieces on each side of the keyboard, the three screws under the ribbon controller and the five screws at the bottom of the rear panel. I found this easiest to do by resting the synth on its side in an armchair in the living room! (I also needed my wife to hold it open at one end as certain wiring prevents opening completely!). Once inside I found that there was a small white 4-pin connector (situated roughly under the effects section of the front panel) that fed a wire into the back of the display which was very loose fitting. I just cut a very thin piece of selotape 10mm x 2.5mm approx and stuck the two parts of the connector firmly together. This has cured the flickering and the display is much brighter. The connector was so loose that I would not be surprised if some just fall off altogether if the synth is moved [regularly]. It only took about 20 minutes to fix altogether."

                    To: FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mankindjj@...
                    Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:57:35 -0700

                    To: FriendsofOB12@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 21, 2008
                      Fantastic!

                      Thanks so much Cinderella Man, by the way my favorite Rush song ever.
                      This coming from a 25 year fan!! :)--- In
                      FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, ian butters <ianbtrs@...> wrote:

                      > I posted this on here in July 2003. Hope it helps.....
                      >
                      > "I had a problem with the display back light flickering. I opened
                      the synth up by removing the five screws on the base panel situated
                      under the wooden end pieces on each side of the keyboard, the three
                      screws under the ribbon controller and the five screws at the bottom
                      of the rear panel. I found this easiest to do by resting the synth on
                      its side in an armchair in the living room! (I also needed my wife to
                      hold it open at one end as certain wiring prevents opening
                      completely!). Once inside I found that there was a small white 4-pin
                      connector (situated roughly under the effects section of the front
                      panel) that fed a wire into the back of the display which was very
                      loose fitting. I just cut a very thin piece of selotape 10mm x 2.5mm
                      approx and stuck the two parts of the connector firmly together. This
                      has cured the flickering and the display is much brighter. The
                      connector was so loose that I would not be surprised if some just fall
                      off altogether if the synth is moved [regularly]. It only took about
                      20 minutes to fix altogether."

                      > To: FriendsofOB12@...: mankindjj@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:57:35
                      -0700Subject: RE: [OB12] Re: display repair - how to

                      repair - how toTo: friendsofob12@...: Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 11:50 AM