New member... for a quiet forum

  • a_fronte
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
      Hi all,
      I just managed to get an OB12 and I'm starting to enjoy this synth.
      Yes, there is still someone buying this machine :-). Having to go for
      a new VA and reading the reviews around, I got the impression that
      this synth is quite unique (expecially the old review on SOS was
      helpful).
      Actually listening now to the sounds and tweaking a bit with the
      knobs, it seems that its sonic capabilities are very good and
      compares well with more fashionable products (at least for the music I
      like to compose).

      Yes, it is discontinued, I knew, nevertheless I don't bother about this.

      I see that this foum is quite quiet... BTW with quite a lot of useful
      info in the old posts.

      I'm going to post some question... I hope I'm not the only one around
      here!

      Bye,
      Alessandro
    • giganovaaa
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
        Welcome to the OB12 Group, Alessandro!

        Yeah, its kinda quiet here, that's true. Hope you'll enjoy the OB12.
        I certainly do. Even though the presets are amazingly bad, I manage
        to get great sounds out of it. I also use the OB12 as my main MIDI
        controller for all soft synths coz the keyboard is ace.

        Cheers
      • Jez
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
          For me, the OB-12 has one outstanding feature that makes it superior
          to any other synth I've ever had. Ease of use.

          There's a knob for everything, the Timbre/Program structure makes it
          dead easy to set up multi-timbral sounds, and the screen display gives
          loads of useful information that help create, manage and troubleshoot
          sounds.

          It's not so much that it sounds better than anything else I've got -
          in fact every other synth I've got out-performs it soundwise in one
          area or another. But the OB12 outperforms everything on the ease and
          speed of use front. I can just get everything I want out of it quicker
          and easier than I can with any other synth.

          So it's the starting point for everything, and the key composing tool.
          There's usually a sound or 2 that will make it onto the finished track
          as well.

          It's worth reading the manual and getting familiar with what it can
          do. Then go back to the manual a few months later and see what you've
          missed.

          And it's made in Italy :-)

          On 9/29/05, a_fronte <a.fronte@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I just managed to get an OB12 and I'm starting to enjoy this synth.
          > Yes, there is still someone buying this machine :-). Having to go for
          > a new VA and reading the reviews around, I got the impression that
          > this synth is quite unique (expecially the old review on SOS was
          > helpful).
          > Actually listening now to the sounds and tweaking a bit with the
          > knobs, it seems that its sonic capabilities are very good and
          > compares well with more fashionable products (at least for the music I
          > like to compose).
          >
          > Yes, it is discontinued, I knew, nevertheless I don't bother about this.
          >
          > I see that this foum is quite quiet... BTW with quite a lot of useful
          > info in the old posts.
          >
          > I'm going to post some question... I hope I'm not the only one around
          > here!
          >
          > Bye,
          > Alessandro
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • pierre knott
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005

            hello do you get this message

          • Tobias Radeskog
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
              Hello and welcome to the group Allesandro.
              Speaking of the keyboard being ace, yeah it has a cool feel, but my F-0 key
              has started going south (a bit nonresponsive and flaky). Is this even worth
              bothering about, if it usually means a quick mechanical fix then I might go
              on doing it, but if it takes hundreds of dollars and an experienced mechanic
              then no reason to. Did anyone here crack up their OB12? Was it easy?

              Tobias

              >From: "giganovaaa" <giganovaaa@...>
              >To: FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [OB12] Re: New member... for a quiet forum
              >Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:30:51 -0000
              >
              >Welcome to the OB12 Group, Alessandro!
              >
              >Yeah, its kinda quiet here, that's true. Hope you'll enjoy the OB12.
              >I certainly do. Even though the presets are amazingly bad, I manage
              >to get great sounds out of it. I also use the OB12 as my main MIDI
              >controller for all soft synths coz the keyboard is ace.
              >
              >Cheers

            • dobrovonob12
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
                Hi Alessandro,

                congratulations ! You bought the most wonderful and beautiful synth
                that is affordable at the moment.
                In spite of all the bad reviews on the internet I bought mine half a
                year ago.
                Making music on the OB12 is like cooking your favourite dishes.
                Forget the factory settings and compose your own sound.
                My OB12 did people dance and cry with its marvellous sounds.

                Beside the manual this forum is great source for solving your
                problems. It is quiet at the moment, so I presume that there are no
                problems at all.

                Do not hesitate to post your questions.

                Just as Werner I make music like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze,
                but also Camel, Air or even Moby-like.
                I play the OB12 in combination with a Korg X3, a Roland JV80 and a
                MicroKorg.

                Take good care of this blue steel lady !
                She's worth it.

                Ron
                from Holland
              • JdH
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
                  leuk dat je er ook eentje hebt Ron
                  > congratulations ! You bought the most wonderful and beautiful synth
                  > that is affordable at the moment.
                  > In spite of all the bad reviews on the internet I bought mine half a
                  > year ago.
                  > Making music on the OB12 is like cooking your favourite dishes.
                  > Forget the factory settings and compose your own sound.
                  > My OB12 did people dance and cry with its marvellous sounds.
                  >
                  > Beside the manual this forum is great source for solving your
                  > problems. It is quiet at the moment, so I presume that there are no
                  > problems at all.
                  >
                  > Do not hesitate to post your questions.
                  >
                  > Just as Werner I make music like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze,
                  > but also Camel, Air or even Moby-like.
                  > I play the OB12 in combination with a Korg X3, a Roland JV80 and a
                  > MicroKorg.
                  >
                  > Take good care of this blue steel lady !
                  > She's worth it.
                  >
                  > Ron
                  > from Holland
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  > --

                • chrisbob12
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                    Hi Alessandro.

                    It's nice to see continued life in the group and interest in this
                    most interesting instrument.

                    In answer to Tobias' question, (I assume you mean has anyone cracked
                    their OB12 open rather than just damaged it) yes. See mail from me
                    around 13 06 04 and Ian Butters 02 07 03

                    It wasn't too scary. I'm contemplating upgrading the OS from v1.47
                    (the CPU is already at 1.1)- now that's scary. I'm not even sure if
                    there's an advantage - reading the recent Harmony Central reviews
                    makes me think it might be worthwhile, but I don't know if I would
                    notice the difference.

                    Regards, Chris.

                    --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Radeskog" <tr_s@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hello and welcome to the group Allesandro.
                    > Speaking of the keyboard being ace, yeah it has a cool feel, but my
                    F-0 key
                    > has started going south (a bit nonresponsive and flaky). Is this
                    even worth
                    > bothering about, if it usually means a quick mechanical fix then I
                    might go
                    > on doing it, but if it takes hundreds of dollars and an experienced
                    mechanic
                    > then no reason to. Did anyone here crack up their OB12? Was it easy?
                    >
                    > Tobias
                    >

                    > >From: "giganovaaa" <giganovaaa@y...>
                    > >To: FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [OB12] Re: New member... for a quiet forum
                    > >Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:30:51 -0000
                    > >
                    > >Welcome to the OB12 Group, Alessandro!
                    > >
                    > >Yeah, its kinda quiet here, that's true. Hope you'll enjoy the
                    OB12.
                    > >I certainly do. Even though the presets are amazingly bad, I manage
                    > >to get great sounds out of it. I also use the OB12 as my main MIDI
                    > >controller for all soft synths coz the keyboard is ace.
                    > >
                    > >Cheers

                    FREE!
                  • a_fronte
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                      Yes, great interface.
                      About how sounds compare with other VAs, actually is to soon for me to
                      judge. Yes the presets are not great. But which presets are great? You
                      know, being in the Tangerine Dream / Klaus Shulze etc area I'm not
                      particularly impressed by most of the "pumping" presets found un most
                      VAs, and that look so great to some reviewers...

                      What I can say anyway it that I already managed to get some sounds I
                      didn't get from other synths...

                      Alessandro

                      --- In FriendsofOB12@yahoogroups.com, Jez <jezosaurus@g...> wrote:
                      > For me, the OB-12 has one outstanding feature that makes it superior
                      > to any other synth I've ever had. Ease of use.
                      >
                      > There's a knob for everything, the Timbre/Program structure makes it
                      > dead easy to set up multi-timbral sounds, and the screen display gives
                      > loads of useful information that help create, manage and troubleshoot
                      > sounds.
                      >
                      > It's not so much that it sounds better than anything else I've got -
                      > in fact every other synth I've got out-performs it soundwise in one
                      > area or another. But the OB12 outperforms everything on the ease and
                      > speed of use front. I can just get everything I want out of it quicker
                      > and easier than I can with any other synth.
                      >
                      > So it's the starting point for everything, and the key composing tool.
                      > There's usually a sound or 2 that will make it onto the finished track
                      > as well.
                      >
                      > It's worth reading the manual and getting familiar with what it can
                      > do. Then go back to the manual a few months later and see what you've
                      > missed.
                      >
                      > And it's made in Italy :-)
                      >
                      > On 9/29/05, a_fronte <a.fronte@t...> wrote:
                      > > Hi all,
                      > > I just managed to get an OB12 and I'm starting to enjoy this synth.
                      > > Yes, there is still someone buying this machine :-). Having to go for
                      > > a new VA and reading the reviews around, I got the impression that
                      > > this synth is quite unique (expecially the old review on SOS was
                      > > helpful).
                      > > Actually listening now to the sounds and tweaking a bit with the
                      > > knobs, it seems that its sonic capabilities are very good and
                      > > compares well with more fashionable products (at least for the music I
                      > > like to compose).
                      > >
                      > > Yes, it is discontinued, I knew, nevertheless I don't bother about
                      this.

                      > > I see that this foum is quite quiet... BTW with quite a lot of useful
                      > > info in the old posts.
                      > >
                      > > I'm going to post some question... I hope I'm not the only one around
                      > > here!
                      > >
                      > > Bye,
                      > > Alessandro
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • a_fronte
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005

                        > And it's made in Italy :-)

                        Yes I have an obvious conflict of interest here!!! :-)

                        Cheers,
                        Alessandro
                      • Bo Bartels
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 7, 2005

                          hi Friends,

                          The reality is.. I decided to sell my OB-Sweetheard-12.. :'(

                          It's on Ebay now, top condition... i took some sexy photos of it.

                          check it

                          http://cgi.ebay.de/Oberheim-Ob-12-Synthesizer-mit-Gigbag_W0QQitemZ7354398661QQcategoryZ7797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                          thanks,

                          bye