Lush pads

  • Tobias Radeskog
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
      Am I having a problem of some kind, or does anyone else have any real
      problems getting good lush "ERA-Style" pads out of the Big Fat Blue?

      Any suggestions? Thanks

      Tobias Radeskog
      +46(0)706523586

    • rajajuju
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
        I would say you are most definately having a problem... Pads are what
        the OB does best in my opinion. For one thing, and this might sound odd
        to some, NEVER use the OB's internal fx - they basically sound like
        shit, but more importantly the OB sounds BETTER without them on. Quite
        possibly the only pro-range synth I've tried which sounds better with fx
        OFF. If you want fx on the OB sound, use outboard stuff. I would also
        say that a good reverb is almost essential to a pad sound... so right
        there you might have a problem, if you dont have any outboard fx gear.

        I really dont know what you mean by "ERA-style", is that a reference to
        something in particular?? Try describing the sound to me in detail and
        I can probably help you.

        Tobias Radeskog wrote:

        >Am I having a problem of some kind, or does anyone else have any real
        >problems getting good lush "ERA-Style" pads out of the Big Fat Blue?
        >
        >Any suggestions? Thanks
        >
        >Tobias Radeskog
        >+46(0)706523586

      • pawL
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
          What kind of verb do you suggest?

          pawL
        • rajajuju
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
            If you mean gear, then lets see, as far as external boxes go - get a
            Lexicon, they have really cheap models now that still blow everyone else
            away. For VST plugins, Trueverb is still one of the best, although the
            TC Works one is pretty damn good too.

            If you mean what kind of settings, then I would suggest long decay
            times, large dimensions or room sizes, a tiny bit of high end dampening
            (but probably less than most presets), and if possible slap a chorus or
            phaser in the signal chain AFTER the verb, but be cool with the wet/dry
            amount on that one. Another effect is to use a small room or club type
            verb after the primary one. With pads, most of the time you want to go
            for a wash-type effect.