Re: Roland EF-303

  • Truth
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
      > Can you tell me more about the Roland EF-303, next week-end i 'll
      have one to try, are you still happy with it and can you use the 16
      sliders as midi-remote and associate them with soft synth like the NI-
      reaktor? It really intrigues me since your mail of last month.

      > Alain Kinet

      Hi Alain,

      I can'nt tell you about the MIDI remote association, because I
      have'nt had that much time to really get in to that side of things -
      I've been using a lot of other things as well as the EF-303, but I
      will have a look into that for you and post another message up
      A.S.A.P.

      I have been using my sister-in-laws studio for the past four days and
      I took my OB-12, AN-200 & EF-303 along with me. It'd did'nt do all of
      the things I would have liked it to have done ( the vocoder is not as
      good as say the one on the Korg MS-2000 or something like that, but's
      better than none at all ).

      As I said in my first post about it, it's the 16 sliders ( called
      the "step modulator" ) that I bought it for - I always loved the idea
      of the original ARP Sequencer and this acts very much like it when
      you use the settings in BANK 4 PATCH 2,3 & 4. Link it up to your OB-
      12, move some of the sliders and you can get some really great
      results ( you can also change the note range of the sliders - which
      is something i would say you should do, because the factory setting
      covers just about the whole range ! ).

      Other cool things are that you can ties and rests so it does'nt have
      to be a 16 note step ( you can change it to cycle any length ( 8
      steps, 12 steps and so on ). This is also very cool when you use it
      as an effects unit, because you can use the sliders to set up
      rhythmic effects - some of the effects are not fantastic, but you
      will descover which you like for yourself depending on your needs ( I
      like the fact that you can set up rhythmic delays and delay
      frequencies that you sellect ( Hi, Mid, Low or All ).

      Have fun with when you get to use it !

      Regards,

      Truth.
    • Alain Kinet Vandenberghe
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
        Hello Truth,

        Thank you for your info on the EF-303,
        i'd tried it last week-end and it was great fun.
        The vocoder sounds not so well, like you said, but the efx are ok
        and the step modulator is really fun.
        I was really curious if i could use the controllers
        with soft synths like the reaktor.
        The 4-knobs work well, so that you can assign a fader or knob of the
        soft synth to one of the four on the EF303.
        But i couldn't find a way to assign the 16 fader of the step modulator.
        Anyway, at last I put the OB-12 in front of the computer and tried it also.
        First only the lfo-wheel was working and could be assigned
        But after editing the midi-controllers setup of the OB-12 from "presets" to
        "custom"
        ALL THE FADERS AND KNOBS OF THE OB-12 COULD BE ASSIGNED to any fader or
        knob
        on the reaktor synths!!!! even the number board can be used to switch from
        one pattern to an other
        in the Cube-X ensemble who looks like a groovebox.
        It's really amazing.
        So i give the Roland EF-303 ( who isn't so cheap) back and ordered the
        Reaktor 3.0!

        I'll let you know more about the combination OB-12/reaktor later,
        try the demo on www.native-instruments.com,

        bye,
        Alain

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/