      From: FriendsofKingPark@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FriendsofKingPark@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of zpine1
      Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:06 AM
      To: FriendsofKingPark@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FriendsofKingPark] Urgent help needed today and sunday for a Berkeley Community Garden in peril

      Dear Berkeley Friends of Nature and Gardens-

      Sorry for this impersonal email; I just heard this morning about an urgent need for help in Berkeley, to transplant a unique community garden - one that I cherish - this weekend.

      The Community Garden at the Berkeley Marina is slated for bulldozing on Monday 6/15 - this is a step in the renovation of the adjacent docks. The garden has been created over a 20-year period, under the stewardship of Sharon Sumner. She and others have been struggling for some time to have it saved in the dock renovation project plan. Currently, the plan is to transplant the garden plants to pots, move them out of harms way, and then replant the garden after the construction. Unfortunately, this plan was just agreed to last week, and notice of the planned Monday bulldozing came just yesterday.

      Today (Sat. 6/13) at 12 noon, volunteers will start the transplanting process.
      Tomorrow (Sun 6/14) at 9 pm, volunteers (including me) will continue the process.

      Here's a picture of part of the garden: http://bit.ly/gardenpic

      And here's the location: http://bit.ly/commgarden

      If you can spare some time to work in a beautiful spot towards a beautiful aim, please join in and bring any tools, gloves, and pots that you can.

      Hope to see you there!

      -Zach
      PS - Please forward to any other groups and individuals who could help

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic