aid to afganistan

  • andy danielson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      --------------------------------
      This takes only a few seconds and might be useful....
      --------------------------------

      Dear Friend of 9-11peace.org,

      Call on world leaders to make delivery of aid to
      Afghanistan
      a priority at:

      http://www.9-11peace.org/aid.php3

      The prolonged bombing has worsened the plight of the
      Afghan
      people because aid organizations haven't been able to
      get
      food and medicine into the country. The food dropped
      by the
      US is woefully inadequate for the 7 million Afghans
      who rely
      on aid.

      With the Northern Alliance's capture of most of
      Northern
      Afghanistan, aid organizations may finally be able to
      bring
      large quantities food and medicine into the country.
      But
      unless the US and its allies facilitate the delivery,
      hundreds of thousands of people may die.

      It's crucial that world leaders hear from us now.
      They need
      to know that we are counting on them to prevent the
      imminent
      starvation of 900,000 innocent people, and that this
      should
      be one of the highest priorities for the next few
      weeks.
      They need to know that we don't want to have to
      explain to
      our grandchildren why our countries allowed one of the
      largest mass starvations in history to take place.
      Tell
      them now:

      http://www.9-11peace.org/aid.php3

      Some facts about the aid crisis:

      * The UN estimates that 7.5 million Afghan refugees
      rely on
      food and medical aid to survive.

      * Of these, 900,000 face imminent starvation.

      * Nearly 20% of those struggling to survive are
      children
      under 5.

      * Recent bombing attacks have damaged the warehouses
      of the
      International Red Cross as well as the United Nations
      World
      Food Programme. The agencies' staff, laborers and
      truckers
      are now afraid to load, unload or transport food
      inside
      Afghanistan.

      * Doctors Without Borders, Oxfam International, and
      officials in the UN have all called for a stop in the
      bombing so that aid can be delivered before it's too
      late.