Re: Proposed Temescal Creek bridge over

  • FoTC
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2007
      An update from a neighbor on last night's Emeryville City Council

      meeting. A bridge at 65th Street over I-80 has moved above the Temescal
      option in priority for the City.

      Josh

      ________

      "Following up on yesterday's post about the Emeryville City Council's
      taking up the issue of Councilman Fricke's proposal to build a Bike &
      Pedestrian bridge over I-80 at 65th Street.

      At the meeting the City Council voted:

      1. to authorize a study and preliminary engineering to get the over
      crossing "to the same level of engineering" as the proposed Ashbey
      Interchange reconfiguration.

      2. to fund the study and preliminary engineering using monies
      [approximately $130,000] previously earmarked to do the study for the
      Proposed Temescal Creek over crossing [the one that would close the
      Emeryville only access to the Bridge].

      3. to solicit proposals from engineering firms to prepare the study
      and preliminary engineering.

      What this means is that the project will be brought up to the level of
      study and consideration to be in the running for funding from State
      and Federal sources, as well as from possible City bond issues. It
      means that this over crossing moves up higher on the priority list of
      City projects than the Temescal Crossing.

      It sounded to me as if there may still be the need for clarifying
      discussions between Berkeley and Emeryville regarding the design of
      the Ashbey Interchange reconfiguration as a result of this vote,
      though both Mayor Davis and Councilman Bukowski indicated that
      Berkeley's Mayor and Council would probably be fine with this."