Fwd: Dear Friends - Voting resources guide

  • FoTC
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      I have compiled this list of non-partisan / non-profit based voting
      resources as the email coordinator for my neighborhood council. I thoughtI
      would share it with all of you too. Please feel free to send it to your
      friends to promote an understanding of the issues, dispel myths, and
      misinformation. My apologies for getting this out late, hopefully it will
      still be useful. If any of you have additional (non-partisan, non-profit )
      voting resources you would like to tell me about, I will include them in the
      next email – some years from now.

      Peter W.

      Table of Contents:

      League of Women Voters of California Education Fund (LWV)
      SmartVoter.org
      LWV Pros & Cons nonpartisan analysis of ballot measures
      Institute of Governmental Studies Library, University of California at
      Berkeley
      California Ballot Endorsements
      The California Voter Foundation
      To learn about the propositions
      To learn about the Statewide Races
      To learn about the 2006 U.S. Senate race and each of the 53 U.S. House races
      To learn about each of the 80 California Assembly races and 20 State Senate
      seats up this year
      Proposition podcasts Forum with Michael Krasney KQED Radio (propositions 83,
      85, 87, 90)
      The Congressional Report card
      The Annenberg political fact check
      Electoral Vote Predictor
      Similar vote predictor run by a republican
      The California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV)

      _____

      League of Women Voters of California Education Fund (LWV)
      SmartVoter.org
      a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, to: a) vide voters with comprehensive
      nonpartisan information about the contests on their ballot in an easy-to-use
      presentation. b) Provide a means for candidates to publish information about
      themselves and their candidacy directly to voters. [editorial note from
      Peter: this site is extremely useful. Enter your address and zip in the “MY
      BALLOT and POLLING PLACE” area. Each link for a candidate, proposition,or
      local measure collects IN ONE PLACE all of the info you could need including
      candidate statements, interviews through various media, even news coverage,
      podcasts, mp3 downloads etc.]

      Contra Costa County Voter Information
      http://www.smartvoter.org/2006/11/07/ca/cc/
      <http://www.smartvoter.org/2006/11/07/ca/cc/>

      LWV Pros & Cons nonpartisan analysis of ballot measures
      These PROS & CONS are researched and developed by the League of Women Voters
      of California Education Fund. They are an unbiased presentation of the
      measures on the November 7, 2006 California Statewide Election ballot.
      http://ca.lwv.org/lwvc/edfund/elections/2006nov/pc/index.html

      _____

      Institute of Governmental Studies Library, University of California at
      Berkeley
      California Ballot Endorsements
      A list of supporters and opponents of all propositions. These pages are
      maintained by the Institute of Governmental Studies Library. The Institute
      of Governmental Studies is an interdisciplinary organized research unit
      (ORU) at the University of California at Berkeley that promotes research,
      training, educational activities, and public service in the areas of
      American and California politics and public policy.
      http://www.igs.berkeley.edu/library/election2006/endorse2006.html
      <http://www.igs.berkeley.edu/library/election2006/endorse2006.html>

      > back to the top <
      _____

      The California Voter Foundation
      is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization promoting and applying the
      responsible use of technology (the internet) to improve the democratic
      process.
      http://www.calvoter.org/voter/index.html

      http://www.calvoter.org/voter/elections/2006/general/props/index.html

      http://www.calvoter.org/voter/elections/2006/general/statewide/index.html

      http://www.calvoter.org/voter/elections/2006/general/congress/index.html
      <http://www.calvoter.org/voter/elections/2006/general/congress/index.html>

      To learn about each of the 80 California Assembly races and 20 State Senate
      seats up this year
      http://www.calvoter.org/voter/elections/2006/general/leg/index.html
      <http://www.calvoter.org/voter/elections/2006/general/leg/index.html>

      To conduct a search of campaign finance filings by current elected officials
      and candidates running for legislative and statewide office in California,
      visit the Advanced Reports <http://dbsearch.ss.ca.gov/> section of the
      Secretary of State's CAL-ACCESS web site.

      > back to the top <
      _____

      Proposition podcasts
      This post is a plug for a series of programs that the public radio station
      KQED-FM show “Forum with Michael Krasny” has been broadcasting on several of
      the ballot measures. The links below lead to pages with RealMedia live
      streams and podcast downloads of each program. [editorial note from Peter:
      These shows are EXTREMELY helpful in figuring out the details of each
      proposition. I found them absolutely invaluable in helping me to make up my
      mind.]

      The broadcasts so far include:
      * Proposition 83 <http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R610201000>
      * Proposition 85 <http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R610111000>
      * Proposition 87 <http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R610180900>
      * Proposition 89 <http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R610311000>
      * Proposition 90 <http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R610270900>
      The “Forum” website’s audio archive also has a number of other informative
      podcasts on the election, including candidate forums (including lieutenant
      governor, secretary of state, insurance commissioner, and attorney general)
      and a discussion of the state’s bond indebtedness.

      > back to the top <
      _____

      The Congressional Reportcard
      The goal of the non-partisan Congressional Report Cards is to provide
      information for evaluating members of the United States Congress on the most
      important, and often ignored by the media, part of their job: making "good"
      laws. Each "report card" is an easy-to-understand graphical report that
      shows how closely the position on legislation of a member of Congress
      matched the position on legislation of one or more advocacy groups over the
      period of up to six years. [editorial note from Peter: this is a bit
      confusing, so let me clarify: Use this website to show how a congress person
      voted on various topics you might be interested in (environment, human
      rights, animal rights) and compare that vote to how advocacy groups votedon
      the same issues (like conservative groups, human rights groups,
      conservation, abortion & family planning, civil rights & liberty advocacy/
      “special interest”, etc.)]
      http://www.vis.org/crc/default.aspx <http://www.vis.org/crc/default.aspx>

      > back to the top <
      _____

      The Annenberg political fact check
      Factcheck.org is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters
      that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics.
      We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political
      players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news
      releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and
      scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.
      http://www.factcheck.org/ <http://www.factcheck.org/>

      > back to the top <
      _____

      Electoral Vote Predictor
      Electoral Vote Predictor, in 2004 tracked the electoral vote state by state.
      This year it is tracking the 33 U.S. Senate races the by examining the
      state-by-state polls. As new state polls are released, the maps,
      spreadsheets, tables, graphs, etc. are updated.
      http://www.electoral-vote.com/ <http://www.electoral-vote.com/>

      Similar vote predictor run by a republican
      http://www.electionprojection.com/elections2006.html
      <http://www.electionprojection.com/elections2006.html>

      > back to the top <
      _____

      The California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV)
      The California League of Conservation Voters is the non-partisan political
      action arm of California's environmental movement. CLCV's mission is to
      protect the environmental quality of the state by increasing public
      awareness of the environmental performance of all elected officials, working
      to elect environmentally responsible candidates, and holding them
      accountable to the environmental agenda once elected.

      CLCV endorsements
      Each proposition includes a very short paragraph on what the measure will
      mean which is a very useful tool regardless of whether you agree with the
      endorsement
      http://www.ecovote.org/endorse/ <http://www.ecovote.org/endorse/>

      CLCV California Environmental Scorecard
      Find out how California's lawmakers voted on the most important
      environmental bills of 2006
      http://www.ecovote.org/scorecard/ <http://www.ecovote.org/scorecard/>