[Social Equity Caucus] Please help get the Governor to sign AB2444!]

  • FoTC
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2006
      Friends: Please help get the Governor to sign AB2444!

      Dear SEC members,
      Thanks to many of you, AB 2444 -- the first bill TALC has ever sponsored -- passed the Legislature! But getting the Governor to sign AB 2444 remains our biggest challenge... so we need your help now more than ever.

      AB 2444 would mean up to 60 million dollars each year for the region to fund transportation projects, including public transit operations and pedestrian and bicycle safety, and to fund air and water quality improvements. As you well know, we need these funds, and a user fee on vehicles is the best way to raise them.

      We must send a clear message to the Governor that the Bay Area needs AB 2444 in order to solve our transportation and environmental problems as we best see fit.

      1. Please send the email below to all of your members and activists asking them to call and email the Governor to urge him to sign AB 2444. There is text ready for different types of organizations (bicycle, pedestrian, clean water, clear air, transit, transportation justice).

      2. Then, send a letter or fax to the Governor from your organization. Attached to this email as a Word document is a sample letter--please feel free to add your own language as you send it on.

      AB 2444 could be on the Governor's desk within a week or so, so we must work quickly to make sure he has heard from supporters across the region!

      Thank you so much!
      EMAIL TEXT FOR YOU TO SEND TO YOUR ACTIVISTS AND MEMBERS:

      Dear Members of ____________(BICYCLE ADVOCATES):

      The Governor is about to consider signing a bill that would mean millions of dollars for bicycle safety improvements in the Bay Area, everything from new trails and lanes to bike lockers. But the Governor will not sign the bill unless he sees overwhelming support from the Bay Area for AB 2444!

      Overall, AB 2444 would raise up to 60 million dollars each year -- half to fund air and water quality improvements and half to fund transportation projects decided on by each county, including bicycle and pedestrian safety and public transit operations.

      Call and/or email the Governor NOW asking him to sign AB 2444!

      Instructions are below. And please spread the word - AB 2444 could be on the Governor's desk within a week, so we must ensure he has heard from cyclists from across the region!

      Thank you so much!

      CALL!
      Call the Governor's office at 916-445-2841.
      Press 1 for English.
      Then press 2 to voice an opinion on legislation.
      Then press 0 to speak to someone in the Governor's office.
      Tell the staffer your name and which organization, if any, you represent.
      What to say: "I want the Governor to sign AB 2444. AB 2444 lets the Bay Area solve our own transportation and environmental challenges."

      EMAIL!
      Go to the email form at http://www.govmail.ca.gov/.
      Fill in your name and email.
      Choose your type of comment: "X Supporting"
      Choose your subject: Either leave blank or choose "Environment - issues/concerns"
      Paste the following in the message box (or write your own message!):

      Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

      As a strong supporter of AB 2444, I ask that you please sign this bill into law.

      AB 2444 gives the Bay Area the ability to solve our transportation and environmental problems as we best see fit.

      A.B. 2444 addresses these challenges, giving us the option to create a new locally controlled funding source for real improvements in congestion, water, and air quality - including meeting automobile emission targets set in your Climate Action Initiative.

      Thank you for your support of this important and well-rounded Bay Area bill that will help us create a cleaner, safer, less congested, and more connected region.

      MORE INFO!
      Go to http://www.transcoalition.org/legislation.html#ab2444.

      Dear Members of ____________(PEDESTRIAN ADVOCATES):

      The Governor is about to consider signing a bill that would mean millions of dollars for pedestrian safety improvements in the Bay Area, everything from crosswalks to traffic calming. But the Governor will not sign the bill unless he sees overwhelming support from the Bay Area for AB 2444!

      Overall, AB 2444 would raise up to 60 million dollars each year -- half to fund air and water quality improvements and half to fund transportation projects decided on by each county, including bicycle and pedestrian safety and public transit operations.

      Call and/or email the Governor NOW asking him to sign AB 2444!

      Instructions are below. And please spread the word - AB 2444 could be on the Governor's desk within a week, so we must ensure he has heard from advocates from across the region!

[...]

      Dear Members of ____________(CLEAN WATER ADVOCATES):

      The Governor is about to consider signing a bill that would mean millions of dollars for water quality improvements in the Bay Area, everything from creek restoration to pervious surface projects. But the Governor will not sign the bill unless he sees overwhelming support from the Bay Area for AB 2444!

[...]

      Dear Members of ____________(CLEAN AIR ADVOCATES):

      The Governor is about to consider signing a bill that would mean millions of dollars for air quality improvements in the Bay Area, everything from clean fuel buses to climate protection programs. But the Governor will not sign the bill unless he sees overwhelming support from the Bay Area for AB 2444!

[...]

      Dear Members of ____________(TRANSIT ADVOCATES):

      The Governor is about to consider signing a bill that would mean millions of dollars for public transit capital improvements and operations in the Bay Area. But the Governor will not sign the bill unless he sees overwhelming support from the Bay Area for AB 2444!

      Dear Members of ____________(TRANSPORTATION JUSTICE ADVOCATES):

      The Governor is about to consider signing a bill that would mean millions of dollars for public transit capital improvements and operations in the Bay Area. But the Governor will not sign the bill unless he sees overwhelming support from the Bay Area for AB 2444!

      Overall, AB 2444 would raise up to 60 million dollars each year -- half to mitigate air and water quality impacts from congestion and half to fund transportation projects including bicycle and pedestrian safety and public transit operations. All of the money will be spent in the Bay Area. Half of this money would be spent on transportation including operations, maintenance, and enhanced service. The other half would be spent on mitigating and preventing the air and water impacts of vehicle travel in the Bay Area, which could include cleaner school buses, port transportation, and other vehicle fleets, as well as runoff prevention and other efforts that address impacts of transportation.

[...]

      AB 2444 gives the Bay Area the ability to take initiative in solving our transportation and environmental problems.

      A.B. 2444 addresses these challenges by giving us the option to create a new locally controlled funding source for real improvements in congestion, water, and air quality - including meeting automobile emission targets set in your Climate Action Initiative.

      Thank you for your support of this important and well-rounded Bay Area bill that will help us create a cleaner, safer, less congested, and more connected region.

      MORE INFO!
      Go to http://www.transcoalition.org/legislation.html#ab2444.

      REMEMBER, A SAMPLE LETTER TO THE GOVERNOR FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION IS ATTACHED AS A WORD DOCUMENT!

      MORE INFO!
      Go to http://www.transcoalition.org/legislation.html#ab2444.
      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, walkable communities that provide all residents with transportation choices and affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional policies, works with community groups to develop alternatives, and coordinates grassroots campaigns.

      <<...>>
      Carli Paine
      Transportation Program Director
      Transportation and Land Use Coalition