Re: [FreecycleNext] Opportunity to correct another injustice?

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 13, 2011
      Now that's an interesting idea. Why not just use the term "ersatz friend"
      rather than Indian giver? On the one hand, it's directly associated with
      TFN and Deron Beal and his malarky. On the other hand, it's just two words,
      and unlike using his name, wouldn't be giving the actual person any undue
      publicity. I like this a lot!

      Sally Harper
      sally@...

      > false friend? Isn't that what ersatzfriend is?

      > As for the offensive phrase, if you Google "indian giver synonym" you'll
      > find some discussions about replacement terminology such as "taker backer"
      > or "no take backs". However, I suggest that we use something like "false
      > donor", "false giver", "un-giver" maybe "two-faced giver"?
    • Bill Dickerson
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 18, 2012
        I think ersatzgiver is better but I think Indian Giver is derogatory to the
        folks that made the treaties and broke them on a regular basis rather than
        derogatory to the Indians.

        I happen to occupy both of those peoples/races along with a few others.

        Respectfully,
        Bill Dickerson

        In god we trust, all others we run NCIC