How I Made A Sale *Without* Selling!

  • Shery Ma Belle E. Arrieta
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      *This article is available for reprint in your e-zine or site
      provided it is reprinted in its entirety -- including the
      resource box and making all links active/clickable. Although
      not required, I'd appreciate it if you can send me a courtesy
      copy of your e-zine or forward to me the URL where you have
      it up on your site. Thanks!

      Word count: 418 words at 65 characters per line
      Autoresponder: mailto:ediary2@...

      Column - Shery's E-mail Workshops Diary # 2:

      HOW I MADE A SALE WITHOUT SELLING!
      by Shery Ma Belle Arrieta
      mailto:shery@...

      Three weeks after I announced a free and customizable e-mail
      workshop I created, I received a rather bewildered and
      distressed e-mail from someone who signed up to take it.

      In her e-mail, she wanted to know in what way was the free
      e-mail workshop relevant to her business. She wanted to know
      what good creating an e-mail workshop would do for her and
      her business. And I could tell from her e-mail she was
      genuinely lost and confused, and needed an immediate response.

      I read her e-mail several times, and then I got ready to
      tackle her questions one by one. My answers were lengthy, and
      I also visited her site so I could give her more realistic
      examples of how she can use e-mail workshops in attracting
      leads or customers for her business.

      In my response to her, I didn't try to give her a sales talk.
      I didn't focus on the benefits she would gain if she bought a
      copy of the e-book I'd written on the subject. Instead, I
      focused on her questions and answering them as clearly as I
      could. The only place I mentioned my e-book was in my signature
      line, just below my name. That, and the URL.

      A couple of days later, I received another e-mail from her.
      She thanked me for answering her questions thoroughly and
      clearly. She was surprised I visited and explored the site so
      I can give her examples and ideas for possible e-mail workshops
      she can use. And that same day, she bought my e-book -- and I
      didn't even try selling it to her!

      Two important lessons can be derived from this, and we can all
      apply these lessons every day when we go about building and
      promoting our business on the Internet:

      1. Treat every legitimate e-mail inquiry promptly, respectfully
      and professionally, even if the e-mail borders on the
      annoying, antagonistic or silly side. Take the e-mails as a
      challenge to prove that you know what you are talking about;
      that you indeed do and live what you teach.

      2. Sometimes, it's better not to think of someone who comes
      to us as a "prospective customer" or someone we can convince to
      buy from us. Building, growing and maintaining a business is
      not just all about making money or producing large profits.
      It's also about gaining people's trust and making them believe
      you are sincere and honest.

      Work on building good relationships with people and they
      eventually will want to do business with you.

      Copyright © 2002 Shery Ma Belle Arrieta
      mailto:shery@...

      Discover how you can have an e-mail workshop tailored for
      your business at an affordable price at The E-mail Workshops
      Clinic (http://emailworkshopsclinic.com). And while you're
      there, sign up for The E-mail Workshops Clinic Newsletter and
      receive the latest issue instantly!