Call today to say "no" to kangaroo courts

  • Sara Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2009

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "Njambi Good, Amnesty International USA"
      <alerts@...>
      Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:22:14 -0700
      Subject: Call today to say "no" to kangaroo courts
      To: Sara Jones <mockingbirdsing1@...>

      Dear Sara,

      The U.S. Senate will vote very soon on changes to military commissions
      legislation that could deal a costly blow to our efforts to restore
      justice in the United States during the post-Bush era.

      Senators have come under pressure to bring back military commissions –
      what you and I have come to know as "kangaroo courts".

      What's worse is that the changes the Senate is considering – which
      were passed in the House as part of the National Defense Authorization
      Act of 2010 – would make these courts permanent with no exceptions,
      not even for minors.

      The military commissions, designed by politicians, do not meet
      international, U.S. or even the U.S. military's standards for
      fairness. Those responsible for terrorism must be held accountable.
      But real justice requires a real court.

      Fortunately, we have a number of key allies in Congress and the White
      House in the fight to rid our judicial system of kangaroo courts and
      get the United States back on track to restoring justice.

      Tomorrow marks the third anniversary of the Military Commissions Act
      of 2006, which authorized the use of the commissions.

      Help us make sure it's the act's last anniversary.

      Contact your Senators:
      Sen. Orrin Hatch
      Phone: (202) 224-5251
      Sen. Robert Bennett
      Phone: (202) 224-5444

      Make sure to say your name, that you are a voter in their state, and
      that they should:
      Oppose military commissions and indefinite detention.
      Ensure that Guantánamo detainees are either charged and fairly tried
      in U.S. federal courts, or released.
      Support President Obama's decision to close the detention facility at
      Guantánamo Bay.
      Support S147

      Once you've completed your call, please take a moment to report out on
      how it went. We promise it will only take a minute – and it will help
      us inform our strategy with individual lawmakers and keep a tally of
      the number of calls.

      Thank you for all you do --

      Njambi, Geneve, Zeke, Tom and the rest of the Counter Terror with
      Justice campaign team

      P.S. To find more information about your Senators please visit our
      Elected Officials Search page.

      Remove yourself from this mailing.

      Remove yourself from all mailings from Amnesty USA.