877Fwd: [sfbayview] Chairman Fred: 40 Years Later, 40 Years Strong

  • Sara Jones
    Dec 5, 2009

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: SF Bay View <editor@...>
      Date: Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:41 AM
      Subject: [sfbayview] Chairman Fred: 40 Years Later, 40 Years Strong
      To: SF Bay View <sfbayview@...>, Black Left Unity <blackleftunity@...>, Sons of Africa <SOA@yahoogroups.com>, Community First Coalition <communityfirstcoalition@yahoogroups.com>, Enough BVHP <ENOUGH_BVHP@yahoogroups.com>

      *** Feel free to spread far and wide ***

      Chairman Fred: 40 Years Later, 40 Years Strong

      ‘I am ... a revolutionary!’ is a historical reminder with stirring photos and videos of a heroic young leader stolen from us 40 years ago who is exactly the role model we need today. The miraculous Black president we elected a year ago having abandoned any semblance of good sense, we must take charge of our destiny and our communities: We all we got. And when we look at what Chairman Fred Hampton was able to accomplish in 21 short years, we know that’s enough. Read the story, study the pictures, watch the videos and repeat after Chairman Fred, “I am … a revolutionary!”

      Commemorations of this most heinous of COINTELPRO crimes, the assassination of Chairman Fred, who to the FBI’s J. Edgar Hoover was the “Black messiah,” will be held in many cities. In Chicago, the first vigil of the day dubbed “40 Years Later, 40 Years Strong” begins on the spot at the time that a gang of Chicago police and FBI executed Chairman Fred, at 2337 W. Chairman Fred Hampton Way (aka Monroe at Western) at 4:30 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 4. Another vigil will be held there at noon, followed by a 5:30-10 p.m. program at Winnie Mandela School, 7847 S. Jeffrey Ave., featuring our favorite revolutionaries. In San Francisco, the Chairman Fred Hampton Commemorative Film Festival, also on Friday, at 522 Valencia St. at 7-9:30 p.m., is brought to you by your favorite revolutionary organizations. Read ‘I am ... a revolutionary!’ for the full details.

      Kamau Seitu is playing music with the celestial orchestra, say his multi-talented progeny, the twin daughters who were the pride of his life, Taiwo and Kehinde Kujichagulia-Seitu. Kamau, a giant among jazz musicians, will be celebrated Saturday, Dec. 5, 2 p.m., at Wo’se Community Church, 8924 Holly St., Oakland. Details are in the story, which features a beautiful tribute by Kamau’s friend and Bay View arts editor, Wanda Sabir.

      Memorial services for freedom fighter Javad Jahi are Friday, Dec. 4, 10 a.m., and a celebration of his life is Sunday at 4 p.m. The details are in the Bay View Calendar of Events (click on Agenda to make them an easy-to-read list), and so are a plethora of exciting opportunities for you to pick up Javad’s torch and get involved like a good revolutionary should.

      Pack the courtroom for Minister of Information JR on Monday, Dec. 7, 9 a.m., at the Alameda County Courthouse made famous by the Black Panther Party, at 1225 Fallon St., Downtown Oakland, in Courtroom 11. In an eblast, JR touches on the grave significance of his case, saying he “was bogusly arrested, on Jan. 7, 2009, on a felony arson charge. His real crime in the eyes of the government was covering the people of Oakland’s outrage at the police murder of Oscar Grant and lack of city government response. When he was arrested, he didn’t have anything that could even start a fire – no paper, no lighter, no matches. The police took only his camera into evidence, which they are still holding. They have done this specifically to hinder his photojournalism and his voice in the media generally with the case. His codefendant, Holly Works, goes to court on the 14th at 9 a.m., at the same address in the same courtroom. Free all of the Oakland 100!”

      Please, dear friends, take care of your health. Too many dear ones are leaving us way too soon. Nourish your body with good, local, organic natural food, and nourish your mind and soul with Bay View stories online at www.sfbayview.com and in print in the December paper you can hold in your hand. Click here to subscribe. The latest online stories follow – with many more to come:

      My blood is a million stories by Nzingha Shakur-Ali about her father, Dr. Mutulu Shakur

      Letter to Obama: Bring our troops home now! by Cynthia McKinney, with a note about the extremely unjust incarceration of Lynne Stewart

      Jobs now! by Joseph Debro with photos by Francisco Da Costa of NO BLACKS WORKING, the banner headline in the December Bay View

      Black joblessness becoming showdown between Black leaders and Black president by NNPA Editor in Chief Hazel Trice Edney

      We want jobs! by Jaron Browne of POWER about a demonstration at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office held Thursday

      Clean Slate Program 10th Anniversary with the Bay View’s call to Public Defender Jeff Adachi, ‘Run, Jeff, run’ for mayor of San Francisco!

      Stop the destruction of Community Access TV in San Francisco by a coalition led by our long time ally Steve Zeltzer

      Loretta Devine opens at the Rrazz Room in San Francisco by Bay View arts editor Wanda Sabir

      New Pen Pal requests are posted. Brighten the lonely holidays for a captive or two or three behind enemy lines. And give them a reason to keep standing strong with a gift subscription through the Bay View Prisoners’ Subscription Fund. It’s a constant refrain we hear daily from prisoners around the country: “The Bay View keeps me alive.” And while you’re on the Support the Bay View page, wouldn’t a Bay View T-shirt be the perfect give for someone you love?

      Mary Ratcliff, editor

      To reach the Bay View, email editor@....