5483It's just a minor infringement on Liberty

  • Robert Neinast
    Mar 30, 2010
      I don't know if folks here think this is enough to help out,
      but I'll give it a shot.

      I go barefoot a lot (well, pretty much all the time). It's a myth
      that driving barefoot is illegal; it's a myth that Health
      Departments require shoes in stores or restaurants. Of course,
      stores are free to set their own rules.

      However, government ought to be something else. When a government
      wants to ban bare feet, they say they are doing it to protect
      us against our own folly, which is about as anti-liberty as you
      can get. I should be the one who gets to decide what is best
      for me, as long as it does not hurt others.

      If you've been following the barefoot running craze, you'll know
      that there are a bunch of recent studies showing that shoes
      really don't do anything useful, and are probably more damaging
      than going barefoot. Wearing shoes not only leads to bunions,
      corns, hallux valgus, but it also increases stresses on the knees
      and other body parts. And high heels are especially bad. And, I must
      say, my feet and right knee really do hurt if I have to wear shoes
      for any length of time. Barefoot, they're just fine.

      I know folks worry about liability, but that is really a red herring.
      First, bare feet are much stronger and safer than folks realize
      (and if you wear shoes all the time, your feet get soft and useless).
      That's leather on the bottoms there. It is actually pretty hard
      to cut your foot (while skin can be sliced fairly easily, puncturing
      it is quite difficult). I regularly deliberately step on glass
      just to shock people. But, when it comes to liability, the area where
      there are really lots of lawsuits is high heels. The heels get caught
      in various surface imperfections. They lead to a whole lot of
      sprained or broken ankles. But you never see anybody wanting to
      ban high heels for liability reasons.

      Anyways, back to the government, I've often gone to the Ohio Statehouse
      barefoot. It's really kind of cool walking barefoot on their tiles,
      and the stone steps. The map room is pretty neat, too. However, in June
      I was stopped and harassed by the State Troopers outside Gov.
      Strickland's office. They eventually had to let me go when they
      discovered there was no rule prohibiting bare feet in the Statehouse.
      Well, they are "fixing" that. They are going through the rulemaking
      process to create a rule requiring shoes in the Statehouse. The nanny
      state strikes again.

      I'm trying to stop this intrusion on my liberty to decide what
      is right for me. It would help if I could get letters to their
      Executive Director and the Capitol Square Review and Advisory
      Board. Here's a web page that describes what I would like folks
      to do if they want to find out more and/or write letters:

      <http://www.ahcuah.com/statehouse>.

      I'd sure appreciate any help. (While the letter suggestions on
      that page are geared more towards folks who prefer going barefoot,
      I have no doubt you all will be able to stress the important
      liberty aspects of it.)

      Yes, it's a small liberty. But if the government has the power
      to do this, it has the power to do just about anything. There
      really are no limits.

      Thanks,
      Bob
      --
      " . . . and shun the Frumious Bandersnatch."
      Robert A. Neinast