Fixing faststop - Checked by AntiVir DEMO version -

  • Mike Makonnen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2004
      Hi folks,

      I'm not sure if the fast prefix was intended to also work with
      the stop command, but I think it should. The reason is because
      most applications don't clean up their pid file when they shut
      down, so if I shutdown(8) from single-user I get a lot of:
      xxx not running? (check pidfile)
      which is annoying and makes the os seem "unpolished."
      So, the attached patch tries to fix that by making the stop
      command simply exit (withoug displaying any messages) if
      it tried looking for a running program and could not find it,
      and rc_fast is set.

      Note, that in order to make it work I had to change the
      way the _pidcmd is evaluated. It is evaluated unconditionally
      now. The check for the existence of rc_fast happens later for
      the start command.

      Note that you may still get that error for ports because they
      use a copy of rc.subr under /usr/local and not the base system
      rc.subr (That's another problem, but if you follow -arch you
      know I'm trying to get that fixed as well).

      Cheers.
      --
      Mike Makonnen | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
      mtm@... | Fingerprint: AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8 5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55