Re: [FreeBSD-rc] hi!

  • Luke Mewburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2001
      On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 11:01:01PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
      > Luke Mewburn wrote:
      > > I've had some previous correspondence with various FreeBSD developers
      > > about this stuff, both via email and in person. I'm extremely
      > > interested in working with you to ensure that you can use as much of
      > > this stuff as possible with as much code sharing as possible.
      >
      > Yes, in one sense you could describe our current plan as being something
      > of a testbed for some of the stuff that we discussed previously, namely
      > improving the existing system based on your "what would I have done
      > differently?" input, and then making the code as platform independent as
      > possible. Once we're done I hope we will have something that we can all be
      > proud of, and hopefully that will be useful to both projects, and maybe
      > even openbsd as well. </soapbox>

      To be honest, I can't think of all that much that I'd really want to
      change, as the stuff in NetBSD went through a lot of discussion,
      initial implementation, and then a cycle of tweaking and improving as
      feedback was received in production.

      There are things yet to do, including:

      - Supporting a way to bring the system from a given point to
      a given point. I've tentatively called this "runrcto".

      This would allow something like:
      runrcto -to NETWORK
      and
      runrcto -from NETWORK -to LOGIN
      and
      runrcto -stop -to DAEMON
      (reverse order, running "stop" instead of "start")

      I've got a work in progress for this

      - Cleaning up the output to be a bit more like HP/UX (?) and Lunix.
      I.e, change:
      Starting named.
      Starting named [ OK ]

      This should be relatively trivial work for stuff that uses
      run_rc_command()

      Luke.

      --
      Luke Mewburn <lukem@...> http://www.wasabisystems.com
      Luke Mewburn <lukem@...> http://www.netbsd.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
        On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:36:45 +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

        > To be honest, I can't think of all that much that I'd really want to
        > change, as the stuff in NetBSD went through a lot of discussion,
        > initial implementation, and then a cycle of tweaking and improving as
        > feedback was received in production.

        When Doug told me that as pure a port as possible wasn't ideal, he
        said the reason he didn't like it was that Luke had said there were
        things about NetBSD's rc.d system that Luke himself wished had been done
        differently.

        If this is not the case, then I suspect a little NIH creeping in and
        _urge_ Doug to allow us to move forward on the pure port idea.

        Also, I'm concerned that Doug's finding himself with less time available
        than anticipated.

        Doug, what say you?

        Ciao,
        Sheldon.
      • Doug Barton
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
          Luke Mewburn wrote:

          > To be honest, I can't think of all that much that I'd really want to
          > change, as the stuff in NetBSD went through a lot of discussion,
          > initial implementation, and then a cycle of tweaking and improving as
          > feedback was received in production.

          Well then I either misunderstood, or misinterpreted what you said
          previously, sorry.

          > There are things yet to do, including:
          >
          > - Supporting a way to bring the system from a given point to
          > a given point. I've tentatively called this "runrcto".
          >
          > This would allow something like:
          > runrcto -to NETWORK
          > and
          > runrcto -from NETWORK -to LOGIN
          > and
          > runrcto -stop -to DAEMON
          > (reverse order, running "stop" instead of "start")
          >
          > I've got a work in progress for this

          That sounds reasonable, although I'd suggest that 'runrc -to' is slightly
          less redundant.

          > - Cleaning up the output to be a bit more like HP/UX (?) and Lunix.
          > I.e, change:
          > Starting named.
          > Starting named [ OK ]

          We would have problems with that.... One of the things that has
          specifically been mentioned several times is that we (freebsd) do not want
          the output to look like linux. I've also been threatened with death if
          color appears anywhere on the screen. :)

          Doug
        • Sheldon Hearn
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
            On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:47:42 MST, Doug Barton wrote:

            > > - Cleaning up the output to be a bit more like HP/UX (?) and Lunix.
            > > I.e, change:
            > > Starting named.
            > > Starting named [ OK ]
            >
            > We would have problems with that.... One of the things that has
            > specifically been mentioned several times is that we (freebsd) do not want
            > the output to look like linux. I've also been threatened with death if
            > color appears anywhere on the screen. :)

            Well, that's meat for tomorrow's meal. Right now, do you agree that we
            can cancel the go-slow on porting what NetBSD has at the moment?

            Ciao,
            Sheldon.