Updated patch-set for rc.d boot scripts and more

  • Mike Makonnen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hello folks,

      There's an updated patch-set at http://home.pacbell.net/makonnen .
      It is completely synced with current and rc.subr has also been updated
      to NetBSD's latest revision. Gordon has let me know that he is ready to
      start committing it after sufficient testing from -current/-hackers. He
      or I will soon make the announcement on either one of the lists.

      For those familiar with the NetBSD implementation:
      The checks for required_{files,dirs} is not available if start_cmd is
      defined (as opposed to using $command). It is easy enough to implement
      it in start_precmd (is that what was envisioned?), but it would be
      better to reuse the pre-existing code. If there aren't any objections I
      will look into breaking those out into a separate function. The idea is
      to call it right after start_precmd and before start_cmd. But it may be
      best just to let the script writer insert it where ever he wants to in
      his script.

      Cheers,
      Mike Makonnen
    • Luke Mewburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2002
        On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 02:45:48PM -0600, Mike Makonnen wrote:

        Hi Mike.

        | There's an updated patch-set at http://home.pacbell.net/makonnen .
        | It is completely synced with current and rc.subr has also been updated
        | to NetBSD's latest revision. Gordon has let me know that he is ready to
        | start committing it after sufficient testing from -current/-hackers. He
        | or I will soon make the announcement on either one of the lists.

        I can't get to that URL at the moment; the page displays a "Server Error" :-(
        Is the stuff available from another location?

        | For those familiar with the NetBSD implementation:
        | The checks for required_{files,dirs} is not available if start_cmd is
        | defined (as opposed to using $command). It is easy enough to implement
        | it in start_precmd (is that what was envisioned?), but it would be
        | better to reuse the pre-existing code. If there aren't any objections I
        | will look into breaking those out into a separate function. The idea is
        | to call it right after start_precmd and before start_cmd. But it may be
        | best just to let the script writer insert it where ever he wants to in
        | his script.

        Do you have any scripts that don't use the default method (i.e, set
        $start_cmd) and want the $required_XXX functionality?
        I suppose the reason I hadn't factored out the $required_XXX checks
        into a separate routine available to XXX_precmds was because I hadn't
        needed it in NetBSD.

        I'll be able to provide more feedback once I get to see the patchset
        ;-)

        Luke.

        --
        Luke Mewburn <lukem@...> http://www.wasabisystems.com
        Luke Mewburn <lukem@...> http://www.netbsd.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2002
          On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 07:13, Luke Mewburn wrote:
          > On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 02:45:48PM -0600, Mike Makonnen wrote:
          >
          > I can't get to that URL at the moment; the page displays a "Server Error" :-(
          > Is the stuff available from another location?

          Doh! That url should read: http://home.pacbell.net/makonnen/rcng.html .
          I don't have an index page in my home directory. (Don't ask me why it
          returns a "server error, I don't know. I think they use some proprietary
          www/email suite).

          > Do you have any scripts that don't use the default method (i.e, set
          > $start_cmd) and want the $required_XXX functionality?
          > I suppose the reason I hadn't factored out the $required_XXX checks
          > into a separate routine available to XXX_precmds was because I hadn't
          > needed it in NetBSD.

          No, I don't. It just seemed inconsistent to me :-P It might come in
          handy,though.

          Cheers,
          Mike Makonnen
        • Luke Mewburn
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2002
            On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 02:20:32PM -0600, Mike Makonnen wrote:
            | > Do you have any scripts that don't use the default method (i.e, set
            | > $start_cmd) and want the $required_XXX functionality?
            | > I suppose the reason I hadn't factored out the $required_XXX checks
            | > into a separate routine available to XXX_precmds was because I hadn't
            | > needed it in NetBSD.
            | >

            | No, I don't. It just seemed inconsistent to me :-P It might come in
            | handy,though.

            In that case, I wouldn't bother factoring out the code. The idea for
            required_XXX was to simplify the "simple case" (``default method'')
            scripts. In the cases where I wanted a similar check (e.g, ipfilter &
            ipnat), I actually wanted to perform a different operation upon
            non-existence of the required directories anyway...

            If there turns out to be a need for it, we can do it then;
            it wouldn't affect the current operation of run_rc_command().

            Luke.