Welcome!

  • w_steiner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2002
      Welcome to the Free-moN discussion group.

      My name is Wesley Steiner. I live and work in Southern California and
      model in HO and N scale. In HO scale I am building a Free-mo module
      in order to link up with others in my area interested in DCC
      operations. In N scale I currently have three Bend Track modules
      which I run with others in the area once a month. If you haven't
      heard of Bend Track you can check out
      http://www.advancenet.net/~pollock/bendtrack/

      After being involved with the HO Free-mo group in this area I am
      seeing first hand what it is all about and I like it. I want to
      expand my N scale interests to include Free-mo modules that will
      interface to my current Bend Track modules. The Free-mo concept, in
      any scale, promotes, and even requires, prototypical operations and
      scenery. Beyond just the physical specifications of the modules the
      Free-mo concept also promotes the idea of no formal club with no
      dues, no titles and no memberships. All communication and
      coordination is accomplished through email.

      For a lengthy discussion of Free-mo visit http://www.free-mo.org/ and
      http://www.geocities.com/NorCalFreemo/

      I wish to initiate discussions regarding standards for an N-scale
      version of the emerging Free-mo standard currently gaining popularity
      in HO scale. I would like to hear from anyone interested in promoting
      this standard for N-scale. Hopefully we can get a few people to start
      building modules and eventually get together for an operating session.

      What I like about Free-mo over any other standard:

      1. Prototypical look and operations.
      2. 50" table height. Comfortable to work on, excellent viewing angle
      and out of reach of the little guys.
      3. No club, no dues, no memberships.
      4. DCC control.

      Ok. So what would the Free-mo for N-scale specifications be?

      The only change in the specs, that I can see, between HO Free-mo and
      N Free-mo is the track: I propose code 70 as a standard for the main
      line. Code 70 has a more realistic look than code 83 and satisfies
      the Free-mo requirement for "serious" prototypical look and
      operations. All other Free-mo specifications apply equally well to N
      scale.

      Your thoughts?

      [wes]
    • brittharrington
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2002
        Hi Wes,

        I am new to the group as of tonight, but not new to N scale, DCC,
        Digitrax, Fremo (Europe) or NTrak.

        I have seen several posts about track, scenery, module height (to
        which I disagree <g>) etc., but very little about wiring and system
        requirements. Have these been established? Personally, I feel these
        are the biggest decisions and will determine the viability of the
        concept here in the US.

        Kind Regards,

        Britt Harrington
        Miami, Florida
        Railroad & Co. Yahoo eGroup Moderator
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railroadandco
        DigiTRAKN Yahoo eGroup Moderator
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigiTRAKN

      • Wesley Steiner
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2002
          All wiring and electrical will conform to Free-mo (HO) standards.

          http://www.free-mo.org/

          As stated in previous posts, Free-mo is a scale neutral standard. Free-mo N is
          just an adaptation of it.

          [wes]

          =====
          [wes]
          Wesley Steiner
          w_steiner@...
          http://www.geocities.com/w_steiner/

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • FBritt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2002
            Wes,

            I understand that but, if Free-moN is still in its infancy, why not adopt a
            more contemporary DCC wiring standard for it?

            Regards,

            Britt Harrington
            Miami, Florida

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 21, 2002
              Any suggestions? We are open to all ideas at this point.

              [wes]