Ask Mr. D - Weekly Column

  • cyber1943
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2002
      Dear Editor,

      Bill Daugherty here again with my new weekly
      column - "Ask Mr. D" - I am sure your readers
      will benefit from and enjoy this weekly
      Column.

      Thanks,
      Bill Daugherty
      mailto:bill@...

      --------Column Start--------------------

      Ask Mr. D
      by Bill Daugherty

      Dear Mr. D,

      I am a retired postal worker. A couple of
      months ago I decided to supplement my
      retirement check by making a few extra
      dollars on the Internet. I figured that if
      I could making an extra $500 per month,
      my life would be a lot easier.

      I joined an affiliate program and started
      advertising. The first full month I made
      a little less than $50. The second month
      I made exactly $50.

      Can you tell me how I can drive this
      income to my $500 goal?

      Signed,

      Stalled At $50

      ____________________________

      Dear Stalled At $50,

      The 3 keys to increasing your Internet
      income are: traffic, traffic and traffic.

      To increase your affiliate commissions
      from $50 to $500 you need to generate
      10 times more traffic than your current
      rate. Now, the question is how can you
      achieve this increase in traffic?

      Start by tracking your ads. You can find
      free ad trackers by going to any of the
      major search engines and conduct a
      search for "free ad trackers."

      By tracking your advertisements, you
      can eliminate the ads and the ad venues
      that are weak. This will free up your
      time and money to concentrate on your
      more productive advertising efforts.

      It will take a little time, but by trying
      new ads and new ad venues, you
      will begin to increase your traffic and
      your income will increase.

      Best wishes,

      Mr. D

      ___________________

      Do you have an advertising or marketing
      question you'd like to see published in this
      column? Send it to mailto:MrD@...

      You can visit Mr. D's website at:
      http://www.freeadsgalore.com

      To visit Mr. D's latest project Goto:
      http://www.instantez.com/wdindex.html

      ___________________
    • cyber1943
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 16, 2002
        Dear Editor,

        Bill Daugherty here again with my new weekly
        column - "Ask Mr. D" - I am sure your readers
        will benefit from and enjoy this weekly
        Column.

        Thanks,
        Bill Daugherty
        mailto:bill@...

        --------Column Start--------------------

        Ask Mr. D
        by Bill Daugherty

        Dear Mr. D,

        After spending about a year as an
        affiliate for other companies, I have
        come up with my own product.

        My product is similar to one that I
        was selling as an affiliate. I made
        real good money selling this product
        as an affiliate, but my product, which
        I think is superior to that one, is not
        selling hardly at all.

        My price is the same and I am getting
        a lot of traffic, but as I said, very few
        sales. Can you please take a look at
        my website and see if I have a problem
        there? Something is wrong.

        Signed,

        No Sales

        ____________________

        Dear No Sales,

        There is an old adage in sales, don't
        sell the steak - sell the sizzle.

        Your site does a good job of describing
        your product. That is what's meant by
        selling the steak. But, it falls short on
        selling the benefits a buyer will gain
        by using your product. That is called
        selling the sizzle.

        People are not interested in your product
        or service per se, they are only interested
        in what the product or service will do for
        them. How will they benefit from using your
        product or service.

        You need to rewrite your sales copy to
        let your visitors know how they will benefit
        from buying and using your product. Paint
        them a verbal picture of how they will be
        better off once they have that product.

        You said you had done well selling this
        type of product as an affiliate. I suggest
        you take a look at that website to see
        how they do it. I'm not suggesting you
        copy their site, but just get a few ideas.

        I wish you the best.

        Signed,

        Mr. D

        ____________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 23, 2002
          Dear Editor,

          Bill Daugherty here again with my new weekly
          column - "Ask Mr. D" - I am sure your readers
          will benefit from and enjoy this weekly
          Column.

          Thanks,
          Bill Daugherty
          mailto:bill@...

          --------Column Start--------------------

          Ask Mr. D
          by Bill Daugherty

          Dear Mr. D,

          I have noticed several websites that have
          a sale's message that scrolls across their
          title bar. Another site I visited had a sale's
          message scrolling across the status bar.

          These messages really caught my eye. I
          figure if they are eye catching then they
          must be great sales tools.

          I want to install something like that on my
          site, but I can't find out how to do it. I have
          several books on HTML, but none of them
          cover anything that that.

          Do you know how it's done. Please keep
          it simple. I don't have much experience in
          web design.

          Thanks in advance for your help.

          Signed,

          Sandra

          ____________________

          Dear Sandra,

          The scrolling marquee type messages are
          are produced by JavaScript codes. That's
          why you couldn't find them in any of your
          HTML books.

          JavaScript codes can produce some great
          effects on your site. The great part is you
          don't have to learn to write these codes,
          you can just go to any of several free
          JavaScript sites and find a great array of
          scripts. These scripts are free for you to
          use and they come with simple installation
          instructions.

          My favorite free Javascript site is at:
          http://javascript.internet.com - but if you
          don't find what you want there, just go to
          any of the major search engines and
          conduct a search. You will find several
          excellent free sites.

          I hope this answered your question, if
          not - just email me.
          ____________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 23, 2002
            Dear Editor,

            Bill Daugherty here again with my new weekly
            column - "Ask Mr. D" - I am sure your readers
            will benefit from and enjoy this weekly
            Column.

            Thanks,
            Bill Daugherty
            mailto:bill@...

            --------Column Start--------------------

            Ask Mr. D
            by Bill Daugherty

            Dear Mr. D,

            I guess I am what's called a "newbie." I have
            been surfing the Web for a couple of years, but
            I only recently got into ecommerce.

            My question is probably stupid, but here goes
            anyway.

            I have read that "text links" do better than
            banner ads. Is this true? And just what is a
            text link?

            Signed,

            Sally

            ____________________

            Dear Sally,

            Your question(s) are not stupid. The stupid
            thing to do would be to not ask. Knowledge
            is power, so gain all you can.

            In answer to your questions, yes text links
            usually get a better response than banners.

            A text link is a short headline advertising
            your product, service or website. Usually
            the entire text is a "hot" link to your site.

            I hope this answers your questions. If not,
            just email me and I will try again.

            Best wishes,

            Mr. D