Cultivating Gratitude

  • susie@momscape.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 2:52 AM
      Hello,

      The following article is available for reprint in your
      email newsletter and/or on your website. Please keep
      the content and the resource box unchanged, and
      mailto:susie@... to let me know where it appears.

      Please feel free to omit the "recommended reading" paragraph
      at the end of this article, or replace links with your own affiliate
      links.

      For more articles available for free reprint:
      http://www.momscape.com/articles/reprints.htm

      Thanks,
      Susie Michelle Cortright

      Title: 5 Ways to Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude

      negativity. Learn about five little things we can do each day
      to nourish a sense of gratitude - in ourselves and in others.

      *****Start article*****

      Cultivating an Attitude of Gratitude
      by Susie Michelle Cortright

      Gratitude keeps us centered and wards off jealousy and
      negativity.

      Here are five little things we can do each day to nourish
      our sense of gratitude:

      1. Choose your friends wisely.
      If you strive to be spiritually strong, supportive, empowering,
      intelligent, energetic, and positive, seek those characteristics
      in others.

      Help your friends develop more positive traits by living
      those positive traits yourself. Know what kind of friends will
      help you nurture your soul, and set out to find some.

      2. Help your friends cultivate gratitude.
      Before you say anything about a friend's situation, remember that
      everyone's situation is unique. I've seen it happen to myself and
      to my friends. They'll be perfectly happy until someone tells them
      they're being mistreated. Suddenly, they're upset.

      Don't let your friends wield such power, and work to avoid
      wielding such power yourself.

      Day by day, hour by hour, make a goal to stop complaining about
      your life. Make a pact with your friends to cut the complaints
      from your conversations.

      3. Give the gift of gratitude to your children.
      Help your children to be satisfied with the simple things while giving
      them the innate power and ability to achieve whatever they want
      in life...by living in such a way yourself.

      4. Say "Thank You."
      Whom in your life do you appreciate? Let them know, whether it's
      your mom, your kids, your friends, your husband, your child's daycare
      provider or the helpful woman behind the cosmetics counter.

      A heartfelt "thank you" often does the trick.
      Make it a habit and your attention will
      suddenly turn to all the things people do for you.

      Also, write thank you notes regularly - not just after a gift
      exchange - and be mindful of all the ways you show your
      appreciation by the things you do in return.

      Another idea: Spend 15 minutes writing a letter to your children.
      In this note, tell them how much you love them, why you're thankful
      for them, and all the ways they have enriched your life. This can be
      something you give them now or after they have grown.

      5. Be mindful of the little things.
      Today, strive to be aware of all the aspects of your personal,
      professional, and family life for which you are thankful.

      Take a few minutes today to appreciate nature. Go for a walk and
      notice only those things that are beautiful. Whether you focus
      on the stars above, a distant mountain range, or the cottonwood tree
      in your backyard, try to notice the details. Give thanks for
      the beauty that surrounds us.

      Oprah Winfrey and Sarah Ban Breathnach, author of Simple
      Abundance, speak often of the importance of a Gratitude
      Journal, in which, at the end of each day, you record at least five
      things you're grateful for.

      Regardless of whether you write down these items, spend
      some time each day to focus on the little things in
      your life that make each day special. Perhaps
      it's your child's toothless grin. A warm home. Delicious
      food enjoyed with family.

      Together, let's work on focusing on what we have - not on
      what we don't have - and all the ways we can help one
      another have more gratitude for the gift of life.

      Here are a few of my favorite books to help you do so.

      Simple Abundance, by Sarah Ban Breathnach
      http://momscape.vstorebooks.com/link.html?pid=651301

      The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude
      http://momscape.vstorebooks.com/link.html?pid=664524

      Daily Riches: A Journal of Gratitude and Awareness
      http://momscape.vstorebooks.com/link.html?pid=1414379

      Copyright 2003 Susie Cortright

      Susie Michelle Cortright is the author of several books for women
      and founder of the award-winning Momscape.com, a website designed
      to help busy women find balance. Visit http://www.momscape.com today
      and get Susie's *free* course-by-email "6 Days to Less Stress."