Can I Target Only High-end Customers With My Publicity Offer? Publicity Dilemma 5

  • Marcia Yudkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Marcia Yudkin
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * Free-Reprint-Articles@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Can I Target Only High-end Customers With My Publicity Offer? Publicity Dilemma 5

      Article Description:
      ====================

      Things get tricky when you hope to restrict your publicity bait
      to a certain population. Here's why.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2009-04-01 11:00:00

      Written By: Marcia Yudkin
      Copyright: 2009
      Contact Email: mailto:marcia@...

      Marcia Yudkin's Picture URL:
      http://www.thephantomwriters.com/client-img/marcia-yudkin.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Marcia Yudkin, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/marcia-yudkin.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=6628&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/y/high-end-customers.shtml#get_code

      Can I Target Only High-end Customers With My Publicity Offer? Publicity Dilemma 5
      Copyright (c) 2009 Marcia Yudkin
      Creative Marketing Solutions
      http://www.yudkin.com/

      Got something you want to use as bait for prospective customers?
      Publicity can be a great way to spread awareness of the
      availability of your giveaway item. Write a press release
      announcing it and highlighting its usefulness to your target
      market, and often the media cooperate in getting the word out. It
      also works to send a sample of your free report, audio, video,
      spreadsheet or whatever to media outlets with a cover sheet
      describing where and how people can request it.

      Things get tricky, though, when you hope to restrict your bait to
      a certain population. It would be rather silly to put out a press
      release on the newswires saying, "Anyone who owns a vacation
      home can go www.zzz.com to download a free energy efficiency
      report." By making such an offer public, it would become known
      not only to vacation home owners but also regular homeowners and
      those who rent. Anyone reading the press release or the resulting
      coverage could request your freebie.

      It might seem that you could avoid opening your publicity offer
      to the general public by mailing, emailing or faxing your release
      about it to your preferred media outlets, such as to Vacation
      Home Magazine, instead of distributing it on the newswires.
      However, once your offer gets published anywhere, you lose
      control over it.

      In the early 1990s, I had a giveaway offer published in the
      newsletter Bottom Line/Personal. People could get a free copy of
      my booklet "6 Steps to Free Publicity" by sending a
      self-addressed stamped envelope to a certain address. The free
      booklet offer was a wise investment on my part, because Bottom
      Line/Personal's subscribers were all paying $39.95 annually for
      the publication and thus were good prospects for follow-up
      publicity services.

      What later happened, though, was that several downmarket
      publications picked up the offer and reran it without asking me.
      I was extremely annoyed to learn that a book with a title like
      "Best Free Things" had apparently reprinted the offer. Anyone
      who would buy such a book was not likely to hire me to create a
      publicity campaign. In fact, I continued to receive
      self-addressed stamped envelopes for 10 years after the Bottom
      Line/Personal notice ran, mainly from various aftermarket
      announcements.

      Sometimes you can prevent such problems by making the content of
      your bait relevant only to your target audience. For instance, if
      you offered a free report called "Maintaining Your Kubota
      Tractor So It Stays in Service for More Than 10 Years," few
      people not owning Kubota tractors would bother to request it.

      In the end, the very aspect of publicity that makes it appealing
      can undermine its usefulness when you are trying to accomplish
      something very specific. Publicity is an affordable method of
      getting the word out because the news media have a constant need
      of stories. But the media are in charge of the process after you
      hand over ingredients for their work. It's up to them to help
      you, ignore you or go against your wishes.

      For the individual or organization hoping to target only affluent
      customers, I suggest using direct mail rather than publicity to
      deliver your offer. Direct mail stays under the radar. It's
      controllable. Mail your offer only to high net-worth households,
      and the chances remain very good that only high net-worth
      households will see it and take advantage of it.

      Publicity expert Marcia Yudkin is the author of 6 Steps to Free
      Publicity, Persuading on Paper, Web Site Marketing Makeover and
      eight other books. She has engineered coverage for herself or
      her company in the Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur, Success,
      Women in Business and dozens of newspapers around the world. Get
      free access to a one-hour audio recording in which she answers
      the most common questions about getting media coverage at
      http://www.yudkin.com/publicityideas.htm

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/y/high-end-customers.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Marcia Yudkin can be reached at:
      marcia@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:marcia@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Marcia Yudkin
      http://www.yudkin.com/