Article - Forget Being Free of Depression - Start Living Now!

  • Gillian
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      Article Title: Forget Being Free of Depression - Start Living Now!
      Author Name: Gillian Pearce
      Contact Email Address: articles@...
      Word Count: 500
      Category: Health
      Copyright Date: 2001
      Internet Address (If Available):
      Autoresponder Address (If Available):
      Special Requirements For Reprint:
      Feel free to reprint the following article or use on your website as long
      as no changes are made and the byline, copyright information, and
      resource box are included. Please let me know if you use this
      article by sending an email to articles@...

      Complete Article with Resource Box at end:

      Forget Being Free of Depression - Start Living Now!

      A friend once remarked I was a wonderful role model for how to live a
      great life despite suffering from depression. At the time, I was unable
      to see the value in that since, the ultimate goal is to be depression
      free - isn't it? Suffering from depression means we're flawed, right?
      It means there's something wrong with my life in which case, what is
      there to be proud of?

      After several trips out of depression and then descending into the pit of
      despair over and over again I began to wonder whether or not I'd ever be
      completely free of depression and, more importantly, whether or not it
      really matters.

      Nowadays I'm able to see that:

      ~ SUFFERING/NOT SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION IS NOT WHAT'S IMPORTANT but

      ~ HOW I RESPOND TO WHAT OCCURS IN MY LIFE (INCLUDING DEPRESSION) IS

      Given that 75% of depression sufferers cycle back into depression at some
      point, it makes more sense to learn to enjoy your life despite depression
      rather than endlessly waiting for this wonderful time when you will never
      be depressed again.

      The common model of depression and cure is based on an overly simplistic
      2 phase model where:

      ~ Phase I - You're Depressed
      - or -
      ~ Phase II - You're Not Depressed

      The ultimate aim is to get from I to II and stay there. Then you can live
      happily ever after.

      There's a major flaw with this type of thinking however:

      ~ How do you know when it is time to live happily ever after?

      ~ How do you know for certain you are completely free of depression?

      THE REALITY IS WE CAN NEVER GUARANTEE THAT WE ARE OR WILL BE DEPRESSION
      FREE.

      Given this, I've devised a new strategy based on the following 3 phase
      model.

      ~ Phase I - Depressed
      ~ Phase II - Period of Remission
      ~ Phase III - Depression Free

      At first sight this might appear discouraging. The thought of living your
      whole life with the spectre of depression is not a happy one. But I
      believe that the 3 phase model actually increases your chances of
      becoming Depression free.

      Notice how Phase II and Phase III look the same.

      Even, if you never get to Phase III, you can still have a wonderful life.

      Finding yourself at phase I is a backward experience if you're living
      according to the 2 stage model. While you are depression free you feel
      successful and positive. Slipping back into depression makes you feel
      you've failed again and thus adds to your depression.

      However, finding yourself at Phase I in the 3 stage model is a positive
      experience. You have an opportunity to learn some more and move another
      step closer to being depression free in phase III. All you need to do is
      learn to handle the depression differently. (See resource box).

      Model 1 is Outcome driven. Model 2 is Process driven. And that
      difference is important.

      THE KEY is to enjoy the process of your life as you work towards the
      outcome of being depression free - instead of waiting for the outcome
      before you can enjoy the process!

      Copyright (c) Gillian Pearce, 2001.

      Gillian is a Personal and Business Coach and creator of the '7 Steps to a
      Depression Free Life' Coaching Programme. This article is taken from her
      Self Help Guide to Recovery. For more information visit:
      http://www.depression-recovery-life.com/bin/ap.pl?ebook3